Still front brake first - ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I don't know if there is any particular rule or advice. I've always used the front brake for the majority of braking to control the bike while riding, scrub a bit of speed etc and add the rear when I want to stop.

I find if I don't add the rear brake when stopping the rear wheel can occasionally lift.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
i was always taught to use rear brake first to scrub off the speed, then apply front brake to aid stopping. thats so you dont try and slam on the front and end up endowing over the bars

Boopop

Guru
GCN did a video on this. At least for emergency braking, shift your weight back and over the rear wheel, then apply both brakes as much as is practicable without losing traction or going over the bars (although having your backside over the rear wheel should prevent that to a large degree).

For everything less than an emergency braking, seemingly both at the same time is the most effective anyway, so why not? You ought to be able to judge what a reasonable amount of front brake is without causing you danger.

When I was riding a lot more on my old steel commuter road bike, I woukd quite happily touch the front brake around corners to bleed off speed. You have to let it off before losing traction.
I always regarded traction as a resource you have on the bike. The amount depends on your tyres and the surface, gradient, camber. When it reaches zero, you skid. if you go into a skid evenly balanced you are good but if need more traction to stay up you are out of luck.

I never understand this "going over the bars" thing. How does that happen. I have made countless emergency stops even downhill and could not make it hsppen. Only an obstruction in the spokes would cause such a rotation. Are people sitting bolt upright on high bars and not bracing to brake?

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Just put some segs on your shoes. Then put both feet down and watch the sparks as you slow.

Mr Celine

Discordian
I took an advanced motorcycle course/test back in 1987 and was told that braking should usually be 75% front and 25% rear. I have always tried to apply this to bicycles as well.
Why apply it to bicycles?
The rear wheel on the motorbike won't lock under braking unless you put the clutch in or stall the engine.

figbat

Slippery scientist
The rear wheel on the motorbike won't lock under braking unless you put the clutch in or stall the engine.
Yes it will! Combine a handful of front brake with some rear brake and the forwards weight transfer is easily enough to lock up the rear (which can then stall the engine as an effect of the lock-up, not a cause of it). If you have a torquey engine like a single or twin and lift-off in a low gear this can also add to the effect. In fact try bump-starting a single or twin in 1st gear and see if the rear wheel won't lock.

Top Bottom