Still front brake first - ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
1979 for me. I'd like to say I passed on a Chopper but my dad traded it for a Raleigh Olympus earlier the same week. If only we'd known...
I was on the Tomahawk! :becool:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I wonder why the little one was called a Budgie? Surely there must be a small member of the axe family?

CharleyFarley

In 65 years of riding bicycles and motorcycles, I've always used both brakes together, and never taken a spill from a skidding rear wheel. One thing I don't do and that is to daydream. I always look ahead so I don't have to slam on the brakes. Of course, there is the sudden unexpected emergency, but then I'm going to hit both brakes, anyway.

And of course, for those of us of a certain age would do hanging off the platform of a Routemaster bus providing the conductor was upstairs - ! :laugh:
Is this you?
1627841906140.png

kynikos

Veteran
leftie, righty with only a fraction of a second in between
back brake first for control then front for stopping power...

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I very rarely use my rear brake in the dry on either cycle or motorbike.

CXRAndy

Guru
If possible always brake in a straight line. There are rare exceptions, but require finessing the brake levers to ensure no lockups.

I still remember coming down the twisty road outside Cadwell park, under the trees was large damp patches, I was traveling way too quickly to have much choice other than feathering my disc braked Boardman CX bike. I could feel the rear wheel ever so slightly taking a different line to the rest of the bike in the corners -scary!

When I was 10 we used to practice getting into spectacular skids without falling off very much by applying our back brakes.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
1979 for me. I'd like to say I passed on a Chopper but my dad traded it for a Raleigh Olympus earlier the same week. If only we'd known...
when we did it at primary school, one lad's dad had bought him "racer" a couple of weeks before with size enough to grow into. He pulled up to a stop line with rather too much front brake, did an "endo" and crashed back onto the crossbar, crushing his nuts in the process:laugh:. he was the only one to fail!

Top Bottom