still got knee pain!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hero of valour

id been suffering with knee pain for a few weeks so had a bike fit and it made a big difference but after about 20 miles my knees go again. pain moves around but mainly on right hand side of right knee and middle/top of left knee. i try and stay in a high cadence as much as poss and its fine when im not putting any stress through my legs but as soon as i hit a hill or even a slight climb its painful. ive even dropped my spds and put the flats back on. im pretty sure its the cleats. i can get them right. its a bloody nightmare tbh. i cycle to and from work 30 mile round trip but i literally cant do it two days running so have to do a part drive part cycle trip. would mtb cleats be any different?? ill try anything to be honest its really spoiling my cycling.

OP
OP
hero of valour

hero of valour

could it just be that my knees dont suit cleats? is this common?

RWright

Guru
I am no expert but if everything else is set up the same with flat pedals and you feel no pain. I would start making slight adjustments in the cleat angle or seat height. I am a little confused on what type pedals you have. As I understand it, SPD-SL are road pedals and SPD are mtb pedals but with some being more touring and road friendly than others. If you are on SPD-SL's and have the red cleats you may want to consider yellow cleats with more float. There is a very good tutorial thread about pedals at the top of the beginners section of the forum.

I would use caution if it were me and maybe even have your knee checked by a Doctor if things persist. I don't know your fitness level on bikes but if you are not used to doing the distances you are, you may want to scale it back a little to start with and see if that helps too. Just don't overdo things, which could possibly lead to more knee problems.

geo

Where did you have your bike fit done ? if local to you perhaps return and explain that all is not right, it is possible things just need tweaking a little, or as mentioned you may have an under lying knee problem that has been highlighted by cycling. I agree totally with post above, scale it back a little until you bottom the problem ,good luck.

Sandra6

Veteran
Try some other leg strengthening exercises?
You could just have an injury and it needs to rest.
There are so many variables.
If you can stand to have a week off the bike and see if it recovers then go back and start at square one to either isolate the problem, or hopefully not encounter it again.

Top Bottom