Stockport cyclists beware!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
Isn't the insurance invalidated if it's out of MOT ?
No.

Alex321

Veteran
You can check your own car, yes, but not any car.
But there is no actual check on that, you just say "yes" when it asks.

Technically, yes, it is illegal. But AFAIK, there is no penalty, and no checks done to ensure you are only looking up vehicles you have a right to look up.

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
How can you tell it's insured? It's illegal to look that up unless they have been in collision with you.

Section 170 Clause 2 👩‍⚖️👨‍⚖️

(2)It is a defence for a person charged with an offence under subsection (1) to prove that the obtaining, disclosing, procuring or retaining—

(a)was necessary for the purposes of preventing or detecting crime,

(b)was required or authorised by an enactment, by a rule of law or by the order of a court or tribunal, or

(c)in the particular circumstances, was justified as being in the public interest.

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
How can you tell it's insured? It's illegal to look that up unless they have been in collision with you.

I can tell because someone else looked it up on AskMID and posted a screenshot on Twitter. 😎

Section 170 Clause 2 👩‍⚖️👨‍⚖️

(2)It is a defence for a person charged with an offence under subsection (1) to prove that the obtaining, disclosing, procuring or retaining—

(a)was necessary for the purposes of preventing or detecting crime,

(b)was required or authorised by an enactment, by a rule of law or by the order of a court or tribunal, or

(c)in the particular circumstances, was justified as being in the public interest.

While it's unlikely that you'll be caught for misuse of the AskMID service, the above is only any use to you after you have been charged and face a trial, and the onus is on you to prove the necessity. I think you'd be hard pushed to do that when the police already have the report and are (hopefully!) dealing with it.

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

DRM

Guru
Road.cc is reporting comments from the van's owner suggesting the target for the spikes is anyone who's been vandalising the van while it's parked. Can't say I believe that.

Owner of van with spiked wing mirror claims it is to deter vandals, not harm cyclists | road.cc

Whatever the truth of it, he's at least admitted to possession of an offensive weapon and hopefully local plod will have him for it.
Would serve the idiot right if it got pushed back from the glass side and got snapped off, t*55er

Would serve the idiot right if it got pushed back from the glass side and got snapped off, t*55er
I'm almost certain he's a confirmed pavement parker who is tired of replacing wing mirrors which get damaged due his own laziness and lack of consideration for those who must, perforce, use the footway - and often need to push said wing mirror aside in order to be able to pass his stupid, polluting tin box.
Imagine the danger those spikes would pose to a blind or visually impaired person minding their own business and walking along the pavement. Bashing into a wing mirror with your shoulder is one thing - I know, before my surgery I often did it by accident/necessity - bashing into a plate of spikes is another thing entirely.

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

I'm almost certain he's a confirmed pavement parker

You’re bang on the money, KN:

B69E6136-6CFA-4588-BA5F-3BD7C0288836.jpeg

[photo from linked article]

Top Bottom