Stop annoying me

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tynan

Veteran
snorri said:
Wish I had traffic lights to stop at, I could do with the rest sometimes. As it is I have to pretend I've stopped to look at something interesting at the roadside so that passers by won't think I am just exhausted.:wacko:;)

you can have mine if you want, I've got loads, I'd love a uninterrupted ride

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
snorri said:
Wish I had traffic lights to stop at, I could do with the rest sometimes. As it is I have to pretend I've stopped to look at something interesting at the roadside so that passers by won't think I am just exhausted.:tongue::biggrin:

I'd swop with you, I have got 20 lights in the space of 2 1/2 miles, fortunately I have never had them all on red in the same ride.

OP
OP
walker

walker

bryce said:
Isn't it more fun to overtake them ~twice~, just to rub it in?

on busy London Roads, where theres just enough clearance for one bike, let alone two. not really my sort of thrill at 8.30 in the morning

and welcome Bryce

bryce

Thanks for the welcome message (I am a bikeradar defectee under a new handle).

I like it anyway (fair bit of traffic from Battersea - Mayfair), after a couple of passes they usually submit to hanging back - can't blame them for being plucky once.

Origamist

Legendary Member
User1314 said:
At Stockwell lights I'd say I was in a crowd of about 20 odd cyclists (and one sad moped man). Lights change and we all shoot off - like a random swarm of bees - up towards the Oval tube - undertaking, overtaking, some indicating, some not, some dawdling, some sprinting. I thought, somebody goes down a lot of people will get hurt.

I was thinking, as I approached the Oval - that perhaps some basic cycling code should be made available? But I guess that's something that just comes with experience as one does not want to be too formal about this. And no doubt other cyclists were thinking the same about me as well - he doesn't know what he's doing.

But the long drag up to the Imperial war Museum was good - long, empty bus lane, only two other cyclists and able to really give it some.

The number of cyclists on the Clapham - Stockwell - Kennington route has increased significantly this week.

What I find more interesting than the dynamics of the commuting peloton is the way other vehicle users behave around the cycling horde - it is usually with more caution than when there are less cyclists (rather sadly, I stopped and watched a few phases of the lights).

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
It's fear of a different pack or tribe. One pack member on their own is vulnerable and easy prey, but a whole horde of cyclists is to be treated much more carefully in case they all turn on the driver.

Origamist

Legendary Member
BentMikey said:
It's fear of a different pack or tribe. One pack member on their own is vulnerable and easy prey, but a whole horde of cyclists is to be treated much more carefully in case they all turn on the driver.

I think that may play a small part, but more compellingly when there are greater numbers of cyclist integrating on the road network they create a bigger blip on motorists' radar. This increased awareness/recognition of cyclists tends to lead to greater consideration. The knock-on effect is increased cyclist safety. This is borne out in P L Jacobsen's paper: "Safety in numbers: more walkers and bicyclists, safer walking and bicycling" 2003.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Happens to me all the time. The only solution - as with any number of similar irritations - is, chill. Accept that you are bound to encounter plonkers and dipsticks, and the only way to keep your blood pressure in check is not to let them wind you up. Just bide your time, pass them when it's safe, and away you go. What have you lost? 15 seconds? You can spare it...

Tynan

Veteran
twenty cyclists look twenty times as scary to a driver, especially when there's different levels of cyclist in there so there's passing, some of it in a unsafe manner, the potential for something to 'happen' is there for all to see

I've seen plenty of very poor cycling this week since the warm weather types appeared, and it all rather comes to a head at lights when everyone sets off

I really do think it's as simple as that, no need to make it any more complicated

ChrisKH

Guru
BentMikey said:

It's exactly that and for good reason. I recall a couple of years ago in Pall Mall there were four cyclists at the lights. it turns green and we all shoot off. A bus pulls out on all of us; those in primary are okay but the guy who is to the left gets hit by the bus. Cue three angry cyclists putting their bike in front if it, stopping it going anywhere and remonstrating with the driver.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Tynan said:
twenty cyclists look twenty times as scary to a driver, especially when there's different levels of cyclist in there so there's passing, some of it in a unsafe manner, the potential for something to 'happen' is there for all to see

I've seen plenty of very poor cycling this week since the warm weather types appeared, and it all rather comes to a head at lights when everyone sets off

I really do think it's as simple as that, no need to make it any more complicated

I'm not sure "scary" is the term I'd use, but this is exactly the point I am making. It seems that these "warm weather types" (some don't wear lycra, or have carbon bikes, or clipless pedals - the horror!) are actually making the roads safer, even though their riding might suggest otherwise...

Tynan

Veteran
Origamist said:
I'm not sure "scary" is the term I'd use, but this is exactly the point I am making. It seems that these "warm weather types" (some don't wear lycra, or have carbon bikes, or clipless pedals - the horror!) are actually making the roads safer, even though their riding might suggest otherwise...

to a point certainly, too many though are oblivious to anything but their walkman, ride without lights in dark clothes or treat the roads like some sort of video game, which I think enforces drivers' prejudices that cyclists don't care and do whatever they want and shouldn't be on the road

of course plenty are very good, it's not a speed/clothing thing, it's a behaviour/consideration of other road users thing

Top Bottom