Stop lurking - sign on!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
HelenD123 said:
I'm afraid of flashing more than I'd like my colleagues to see if I use my current gents frame!

That has been my problem ... having to reach down to tug down the skirt:blush: every minute or so... thats why its trousers or shorts most of the time.

HelenD123 said:
I'm afraid of flashing more than I'd like my colleagues to see if I use my current gents frame!

We can arrange for Magnatom to video you (as long as you don't mind being shouted at in Scotch :rolleyes:) - in the best possible taste of course - and our very own Chairman of the Board of Censors, Dayvo, would be prepared to pass judgement I'm sure! :laugh:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
HelenD123 said:
Thanks for the welcome Cathryn and Punky. We definitely need to increase the female contingent. Keep all these men in check :rolleyes:
I certainly need taking in hand...

Welcome HelenD123, who could also have been Hel-end-back....

I'll get my coat:biggrin:

yoyo

It feels like there's an 'in' clique. I do not feel welcome here and cannot fathom the sense of humour / sarcasm etc. I am a keen cyclist - but I get told I have the wrong bike. I have attempted to contribute here but it is preferable to read the threads and say nothing.

Yoyo

yoyo

Thank you, Mr. Paul.

I ride a Dutch Batavus Alamo which is a 24speed tourer without suspension. I have kitted it out with Ortlieb Classic Rollers and a rear view mirror which I find invaluable. I ride anything from 20 - 50 miles at a time and am intending to cycle round the Isle of Wight during half term in May. On a long trip my average speed is about 11mph; locally it is about 15mph. We attempted a club ride but I was left in no doubt that I had the wrong bike and that I should at all times be able to ride at a 'leisurely' 20kph regardless of hills and with no allowance for the fact whilst in the group I was on my brakes on the flat and was attempting the hills from too low a speed. I won't do clubs again!

Thanks again for your interest, especially in my odd bike. I have tried to post pictures but the upload keeps telling me that they are the wrong size.

Yoyo

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
yoyo said:
It feels like there's an 'in' clique. I do not feel welcome here and cannot fathom the sense of humour / sarcasm etc. I am a keen cyclist - but I get told I have the wrong bike. I have attempted to contribute here but it is preferable to read the threads and say nothing.

Yoyo

I hope you change your mind .... I think input from a whole range of folk is good. (Yes some do have 4 figure posting numbers ... but they just have too much time on their hands:biggrin:).

And you are braver than me.... I've not even attempted a club ... I need one for leisure cyclists as there is no way that I could manage the kind of figures that get mentioned for their speed when going out in a group.

yoyo said:

Yoyo

I've reviewed all your posts Yoyo and I agree you don't fit in ;)

(that really, really, really was a joke but if that's the kind of humour you're talking about, I apologise :blush:).

I'd say all contributions are valued. I bet if you think one way, you're not the only one who does, so it's worth saying in order people reading it can view all the opinions. I think most of us end up being naysayers at times, it takes a few different opinions to make some of us see the light.

Please keep contributing.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
yoyo said:

Yoyo

Hi yoyo, sorry you feel that way. I don't think there is a cliques, but a lot of us have been here (or on C+ before) a long-time, so we kind of know each other.... we can't do much about that, but fresh faces are always appreciated and I hoped made to feel welcome. I'm very sorry if that was not your experience.

I remember you, you're in Newbury or somewhere?

Keep posting, there are a few nutters around but people are generally very amiable.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
There is probably a 'cool gang' on cyclechat a bit like at school, but you're very welcome to join the un-cool gang, Yoyo ;)

I actually feel quite inferior to you....if my average speed is 11mph I consider it a fast trip. I pootle along at 10mph on my tourer (yay, tourers) and really don't let it bother me. I do however avoid clubs because I know I'm not fast enough....but whatever...they don't stop to take photos of the new lambs, do they!!!

I honestly think there's room for everyone on cyclechat. There's definitely room for you!! Don't give up.

Maybe avoid Soapbox though...no fun.

yoyo said:
Thank you, Mr. Paul.
Thanks again for your interest, especially in my odd bike. I have tried to post pictures but the upload keeps telling me that they are the wrong size.

Yoyo

Do you have some software to resize them? The biggest they can be is about 54kB I think, which is not very large. I believe this is an excellent piece of free software http://www.gimp.org/ with which you can resize photos plus a lot more. I'd love to see some pictures of your bike.

Or you can upload them to a photo hosting site like www.tinypic.com or www.flickr.com and then use the insert image tag to copy the browser link into the prompt box. If that's as clear as mud, just say and I'll try explain it better.

yoyo said:
I was left in no doubt that I had the wrong bike...

No such thing! As long as you enjoy cycling, that's what counts. I did the TdF cyclosportive last year and saw tandems, mountain bikes and singlespeeds amongst the road bikes. There's no such thing as the "right" bike.

Get in, make some daft threads, have a difference of opinion. It would be rather dull if we all agreed with each other...

yoyo

this bike?-

http://www.izibike.nl/product/1532/Batavus-Alamo_Deluxe_2008

now't wrong with that. And there are plenty of people on here who would baulk at the thought of those kind of distances. Your speed is perfectly normal for your average tourer. You do meet the occasional "good cyclist is fast cyclist" but you are by far nearer to your average than that.

I don't think you have anything to worry about and I for one woldd more than welcome your input on here.

Thank you so much for all your kindnesses - I really do appreciate the reassurance that I am not too out of step. Mr. Paul it is indeed this bike that I purchased after a brief time with a Specialized Hardrock XCountry which I found very hard work. It's in York being used daily by daughter. From my travels on the COntinent I decided that the upright position of a Dutch bike was right for me but I needed something for the very steep hills here in the Kennet Valley, hence the gears. Yes, FF, I am from the Newbury area - aren't you in Abingdon / Oxford?

Cathryn, you sound just like me - t least there's a few of us who know we're not the fastest and who believe in photographing the scenery and wildlife rather than flying around and seeing nothing. I do envy you and your tour. You will have a fab time. Cycling in France/ Germany/ Switzerland and Austria is bliss. In the latter two the signposts are so good it is like being on the main UK road network - if you don't see the name of the place you're headed for it means you have taken a wrong turning! You hardly need a map except to ascertain basic direction and place names. I know Switzerland very well having driven in most areas apart from the French part in my sports' car. The hills are long but probably not as steep as the Dales or the Pennines - the cambers on the hairpins are steep, especially in the passenger seat of a British sports' car that is very close to the road! Have a brill trip.

Yoyo

Blue

Legendary Member
yoyo said:

Yoyo

I know what you are saying, and being told you have the wrong bike is mild!!

Yoyo, if you have the wrong bike, then I definitely have... This forum is mainly inhabited by people on road and touring bikes, so based on my beloved rather basic mountain bike and my totally unimpressive average speed, I certainly don't fit in - they just haven't managed to get rid of me on here yet, I just keep on posting! ;)

Mooster

another lurker signing on

OK....I'll de-lurk as well.

Hello. I'm Mooser.......and I'm a cyclist.

There I've said it (takes deep breath)

Top Bottom