stopping my bike getting stolen!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alfa GT

I'm about to get my hands on a very nice looking fixie which is going to be my town bike.... problem with it being very nice is that it will inevitably catch the eye of the pilfering brigade that stole my last bike! What's the best option to make it ugly but not ruin the frame. Should I just get some reflective tape and go at it to hide the beauty within?

vickster

Legendary Member
A couple of big locks and park it near nicer bikes with crappier locks
I don't get this ruining something nice. Insure it so it can be replaced if the worst happens
You can use Pitlock type fixings for wheels, seatpost etc

Making it ugly won't stop it being stolen, we've had a couple of ugly ducklings stolen from our bike shed, not because the thief was blind, but because they only needed cheap cable cutters to get through the locks, they left the £1700 carbon road bikes alone. If some ne'er do well takes a shinning to your bike, it doesn't matter what you lock it with, they can bring the big guns, so store it in a secure location where no one has easy access, or insure it as @vickster says. As a rule of thumb, I never buy a bike I can't afford to replace out of pocket, so the insurance companies don't get my hard earned money. Instead, the savings on insurance premiums make a healthy contribution to my future N+1

Last edited:
OP
OP
Alfa GT

Alfa GT

Yeah I get what you're saying but the last bike I had wasn't even that nice but they still had it... they nicked my helmet as well so at least they were safe on the road!
I'd rather ugly it up and have a nice bike underneath than have a piece of c*** that's ugly all over. It will be a shame though

vickster

Legendary Member
As you say they nicked your last ugly bike too so not sure on your logic

Get 2 locks of different types, say a fahg and a hiplock chain and make it seriously hard to steal.

Assume you’re not leaving in a rough area or at a station overnight?

You could always take the front wheel with you. That’s a good deterrent

Reactions: mjr
OP
OP
Alfa GT

Alfa GT

Yeah I think I'll go for the biggest d-lock I can get my hands on with some cables for extra deterrent

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Lockable skewers, quick release pedals, two locks. Don’t ulglify. Leave it nice but unstealable and they’ll move on to a weaker victim. Good info here. http://thebestbikelock.com/

vickster

Legendary Member
Yeah I think I'll go for the biggest d-lock I can get my hands on with some cables for extra deterrent
Fahg or Abu’s granit. Cables aren’t a massive deterrent. Chains or thick reinforced cable. Abus Bordo decent secondary

Don’t forget to insure and use whatever locks they demand

hoopdriver

Guru
I just had my shed broken into where my bikes are stored, three custom steel bicycles including a very nice Pegoretti. They were all secured with heavy duty Pragmasis locks and an anchor bolt secured to the floor. None of the bikes were stolen. The shed door will need replacing, but all three bikes are there safe and sound. Very glad I spent the money on the heavy duty chain, locks and anchor bolts.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Alfa GT

Alfa GT

Southern bully. I genuinely try to help someone on t'internet, then have to suffer this?
You have made me stroke Hugo my emotional support bison so much he's got a bald patch now.
That's down to you.

I live in Cambridge, the Mecca for bike thieves... Liverpool is looking like the only real option available. you need a support animal with a thicker coat or perhaps already bald.

U

User32269

I live in Cambridge, the Mecca for bike thieves... Liverpool is looking like the only real option available. you need a support animal with a thicker coat or perhaps already bald.
One habit I have is to chain my bike outside on coffee shop racks. My reasoning is the number of smokers etc who sit outside and the constant flow in and out will deter most scumbags with bolt cutters.
Also gives me an excuse for a coffee.

Top Bottom