stopping my bike getting stolen!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I do have a coffee shop near where I would plan to leave it so that seems like a great option as well as a beasty lock and perhaps some sort of mercenary with a sword

May not be convenient to you but the bike shop at Lion Yard shopping centre in Cambridge city centre will store your bike securely for £1-50 a day.

vickster

Legendary Member
They could still just wheel it down the road or put it in the back of a truck, unfortunately.
Indeed but it's all about making it more difficult and less attractive, especially somewhere like Cambridge where there are lots of bikes to choose from

OP
OP
Alfa GT

Alfa GT

The Mango linked above seems to fit the bill then. I've got some brakes and wheels I can put on it if the frame is good

OP
OP
Alfa GT

Alfa GT

May not be convenient to you but the bike shop at Lion Yard shopping centre in Cambridge city centre will store your bike securely for £1-50 a day.
funny you should say that. my last bike was stolen from right outside of that, in the underground bike park. I asked if it was common and the guys at the bike shop said people have been coming in with portable angle grinders and stealing bikes! I asked for CCTV footage and the Grand Arcade security wouldn't give it to me. I have now started using the secure bike park at weekends but I need to be in a different area during the week.

ADarkDraconis

Cardinal Member
My brother lived with me up until a few years ago and we kept our bikes in our shed (which had seen better days, the trim and bottom were starting to rot through). I never thought that in our nice quiet neighborhood I would have to lock them inside if the shed was already locked. Well the teenage boy next door had some friends who were not quite upstanding citizens and the one busted our shed doors in, trashed everything, and stole his bike!

It was as inexpensive of a bike as you could get (a Walmart brand Nexxt 'mtb' with suspension that was the best we could afford at the time he was learning to ride,) but it had a pretty blue and silver paintjob and with the shocks I bet it looked pretty nice to a young kid who didn't know anything about bikes. They left my old Sears bike (that was plain red and pretty beat up, plus it was a girl's bike). So we call the police, ask around the neighborhood, etc. but don't find anything out. Then a couple of weeks go by...

And the moron shows up nextdoor on the stolen bike, he just painted it flat black!!! Rims, reflectors and all, everything! I just happened to be taking the dog out and see him on it, I confronted him and got it back (idiot still tried to claim it was his and attempted to ride away on it!) My brother didn't want to press charges, I did speak with the boy's mother who insisted that he never did anything like that before and the other kids had told him about the bike first. (Well if people tell him there is money in a bank does that make him not responsible if he goes out and robs the bank?!)

Sorry for the rambling, I just hate thieves and had a car stolen twice (yes, the same car! when we lived the next city over) but my point is that no matter how nice or crap your bike, someone will take it if they have the opportunity. Shed doors are rebuilt and everything is locked to wall joist anchors with OnGuard D locks and chains (even the crap Sears bike and spray painted special are super locked up, if they are stealing a bike it won't be mine even if it is scrap now!!) Also any time I see a bike with a crap repaint job I think it is probably stolen, not that it is scruffed up as a thief-deterrent.

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm about to get my hands on a very nice looking fixie which is going to be my town bike.... problem with it being very nice is that it will inevitably catch the eye of the pilfering brigade that stole my last bike! What's the best option to make it ugly but not ruin the frame. Should I just get some reflective tape and go at it to hide the beauty within?

Spray it with Plastidip rubber paint. Matte black, or the most putrid colours you can find. Don't mask it off, do a really bad job. You'll know that the paint easily peels off to leave a pristine bike behind, but Johnny Lightfingers will think it's a snotter.

Crankarm

Guru
Yep that does seem to be the key... have a bike so cheap it's invisible. I have messaged a guy on ebay about a bike that is as such:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mango-Fixie-Single-Speed-Flip-flop-Bike/152896233532?_trkparms=pageci:28e51668-0daf-11e8-ac00-74dbd180b0bb|parentrq:7b3705fc1610a992437bd958fffe6ab3|iid:1&_trksid=p2481888.c100678.m3607
He only wants 20 quid for it so maybe that's the answer. For 20 quid I could make it look so nasty that I won't even want to ride it

£20 ........ probably nicked.

Crankarm

Guru
funny you should say that. my last bike was stolen from right outside of that, in the underground bike park. I asked if it was common and the guys at the bike shop said people have been coming in with portable angle grinders and stealing bikes! I asked for CCTV footage and the Grand Arcade security wouldn't give it to me. I have now started using the secure bike park at weekends but I need to be in a different area during the week.

Last week I saw quite a few cable locks lying on the ground, cut, in and near the bike racks in Park Street car park. Never use a cable lock, unless an armoured heavy motorcycle one and then some. But no cyclist is ever going to buy one of these. The other option is to rent a cycle locker like I have £10 /month or you could always get a vicious dog and tie it up to your bike. That would keep thieves away.

classic33

Leg End Member
Doesn't have to be a Brompton, there are other folders

Seriously, just take the front wheel to work with you. Make sure the rest is secured with a beasty lock (a small one that won't fit a bottle jack so easily)
One this size?
9105a-in-hand.jpg

Top Bottom