stopping my bike getting stolen!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Not sure anything can stop it getting nicked, it's all about reducing the risk of it getting nicked. Simple, cheap and easy measures first...
No point wasting your time, though. I don't think a sticker ever deterred a thief and few people buying a bike from a guy down the pub or hanging around outside uni buildings will be troubled by a removed sticker scuff or be checking frame numbers before handing over a note.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I don't think a sticker ever deterred a thief and few people buying a bike from a guy down the pub or hanging around outside uni buildings will be troubled by a removed sticker scuff or be checking frame numbers before handing over a note.

Plenty of people are happy to buy bent gear of all descriptions with no questions asked if the price is right. Stolen quality power tools are another favourite form of black market currency. The demand is there, the thief is satisfying that demand.
Low value bikes are the best deterrent, even more so than good locks. A thief is unlikely to risk using an angle grinder in public to steal a £20 bike, but he might do for a bike that will net him £100 or £200 from a fence.

classic33

Leg End Member
Plenty of people are happy to buy bent gear of all descriptions with no questions asked if the price is right. Stolen quality power tools are another favourite form of black market currency. The demand is there, the thief is satisfying that demand.
Low value bikes are the best deterrent, even more so than good locks. A thief is unlikely to risk using an angle grinder in public to steal a £20 bike, but he might do for a bike that will net him £100 or £200 from a fence.
How many £20 bikes have locks that cost as much, if not more than the bike?

Someone wants to take it, they'll take it.

Top Bottom