1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

stopping my bike getting stolen!

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by Alfa GT, 9 Feb 2018.

1. fatblokish

fatblokish Über Member

Bike register

2. SkipdiverJohn

SkipdiverJohn Well-Known Member

For £20, probably not stolen. There's easier ways of scamming twenty quid than nicking a bike and going to the trouble of listing it on the 'Bay. Like a bit of shoplifting followed by flogging the haul down the pub no questions asked. Loads of meat and chocolate goes AWOL out of the local Sainsbury's this way. I've bought two bikes at that price or less and was 100% satisfied the sellers were kosher. I've known enough rogues in my time to know the difference between a genuine seller and a toerag punting out bent gear. The sort of premises you have to collect an item from is a dead giveaway for starters.

3. mjr

mjr Wanting to Keep My EU Citizenship

Doesn't stop it getting nicked. If bike register are as bad as immobilise and leak your property details, it may even encourage home visits to nick it!

ADarkDraconis likes this.
  4. Brains

Brains Guru

They now know the bikes are there.
    So next time they come back it will be with a grinder.
    I'd move the bikes for a couple of months

Illaveago and classic33 like this.
  5. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Legendary Member

Alfa GT likes this.
  6. byegad

byegad Guru

Give the mercenary an Uzi machine pistol too!

ADarkDraconis, classic33 and Alfa GT like this.
  7. OP
    OP
    Alfa GT

Alfa GT Active Member

The mango is a no go. The messages I've received from the guy haven't filled me with confidence. Most probably nicked

8. vickster

vickster Legendary Member

Whatever said above, I'd be v suspicious about a £20 mango bike

9. SkipdiverJohn

SkipdiverJohn Well-Known Member

Take a look at an ebay seller's feedback history, and see what sort of items they've been selling previously. If a large number of sales have been used bikes at very low BIN prices, then possibly they are dodgy, but equally possibly they just do a bit of wheeling and dealing and acquire unwanted bikes legitimately - house clearances, rubbish removal etc. Not everyone is clued-up about used bike values (hence there are some real bargains to be had), and some sellers just want rid of something because it is in their way or they might be moving house soon etc - so they are not fussed about obtaining a high price.

Alfa GT and ADarkDraconis like this.
  10. meta lon

meta lon Guru

My little inventive brain " little being the operative word" is thinking Fake poo..
    Smother on handle bars and seat.

Patent pending, tho its a deterrent that will stop just about any would be thief.
    You would need the removal wash tho which you will be able to purchase when ive marketed it.

Illaveago likes this.
  11. Alan O

Alan O Über Member

Wouldn't real poo work better?

12. mjr

mjr Wanting to Keep My EU Citizenship

Anyway, you can already buy sham poo in many shops.

Drago likes this.
  13. meta lon

meta lon Guru

Probably, But :laugh::eek:xx(

14. Drago

Drago Guru

Comes in a handy dispenser too.

Alan O and FishFright like this.
  15. Illaveago

Illaveago Veteran

Brambles or Blackthorn bushes are a good deterrent . You would have to be pretty determined to dig one out.