Storage advice on a touring bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Polite

Über Member
I'm looking for a way of storing spare tube, mini tool, levers and a few bits and bobs. I love the saddle bags Carradice offer in terms of practicality but they're not really easy to get on and off. So, I'm after something that can be taken on/off easily, isn't massive and ideally has the retro look, like Carradice.

I've researched myself silly and now my eyes have glazed over. The one I liked the most was the attached from Timbuk2 but it's far too small.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIiWIosQAUw

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I use a 'bottle' type spares container in the under down tube bottle cage mount.

hoopdriver

Guru
I used the Bagman Expedition saddlebag rack (also available from Carradice) with a Super-C (23 litre) classic saddlebag. I have the quick release model which allowed me to take the saddlebag off with ease. And out it back on again, just as easily.

The Bagman racks are expensive for what they are, but they do make life easy with a saddlebag and that is great for lightweight touring. It was worth the money to me. I have done trips up to 10 days with just the saddlebag and a bar bag (staying in B&Bs, not camping) and loved going light.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Undo two catches/buckles and a saddlebag lifts off, doesn't it? Or have I missed some subtlety in the Carradice's attachments?

I get a bit nervous about one-touch removals, especially for touring, as there's always the risk that the one attachment doesn't connect or gets knocked or bumped loose and then your stuff's falling off the bike. It's like some of the bags I attach to my bike with two straps, I know others use one and it's fine, but I take a few seconds more to attach two.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Undo two catches/buckles and a saddlebag lifts off, doesn't it? Or have I missed some subtlety in the Carradice's attachments?

I get a bit nervous about one-touch removals, especially for touring, as there's always the risk that the one attachment doesn't connect or gets knocked or bumped loose and then your stuff's falling off the bike. It's like some of the bags I attach to my bike with two straps, I know others use one and it's fine, but I take a few seconds more to attach two.
undoing the straps is uber faff. The buckles are inside the bag, and the unbuckled end has to pass through fairly inaccessible holes to be rebuckled.

Reactions: mjr

Bodhbh

Guru
I use a 'bottle' type spares container in the under down tube bottle cage mount.

I always had the tools at the bottom of a pannier, but it's royal pain when you do actually get a mechanical and have to dig them out (and it's night, it's raining). I stick it all under the downtube in a dry bag and held by a blackburn outpost mount now. It's easy to get at and all that heavy stuff iskept low on te bike.

hoopdriver

Guru
The Carradice Super-C saddlebag has two small side compartments that are perfect for carrying spares and tools.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The Carradice Super-C saddlebag has two small side compartments that are perfect for carrying spares and tools.
I find the side pockets on my non-Carradice saddlebag make the bag sag if I put all the tools in them. So they get used for fairly light stuff and the tools get split between the bar bag and the top of the saddlebag main compartment.

hoopdriver

Guru
I find the side pockets on my non-Carradice saddlebag make the bag sag if I put all the tools in them. So they get used for fairly light stuff and the tools get split between the bar bag and the top of the saddlebag main compartment.
The Carradice Super-C is made of very stiff canvas. It doesn't sag at all.

Rixen and Kaul make the best qr mounting systems and sell them as parts. You csn add a modern mount to traditional bag with rivets. Carradice use R&K mounts as standard, rivetted to corrugated plastic stiffening board.

Top Bottom