Storage advice on a touring bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
https://lonepeakpacks.com/shop/
I've had one of these for years, and it holds up well. You can get a great big seat pack as well.

Fenrider

Is't far you ride?
undoing the straps is uber faff. The buckles are inside the bag, and the unbuckled end has to pass through fairly inaccessible holes to be rebuckled.

Forgive me if I've mis-understood this point, but I wonder if it's a matter of how the straps are fitted in the first place. See attached photos of Carradice straps mounted so the buckles are easily accessible.

CRW_8958.jpg
CRW_8957.jpg
CRW_8956.jpg

hoopdriver

Guru
Forgive me if I've mis-understood this point, but I wonder if it's a matter of how the straps are fitted in the first place. See attached photos of Carradice straps mounted so the buckles are easily accessible.

View attachment 357752 View attachment 357753 View attachment 357754
You're much better off having the buckles inside the saddlebag. By doing it that way you achieve a much more snug fit against the bag loops on your saddle, less dangling, and the saddlebag will sway much less when you ride. It is a bit more of a faff doing it this way but worth the effort. Once it's on, it's on and if you use the Bagman quick release rack you can still take your bag off and on really easily.

Last edited:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.

rualexander

Legendary Member
These guys make a range of saddlebags that use the Klickfix mounting system, not particularly aesthetically nice especially if you prefer the traditional Carradice look, and quite pricey too, but worth considering maybe.
http://bridgestreet.cc/
I adapted my Carradice Super C Barley to work with the Klickfix mounting system, which worked well, but I now use the Classic rack.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
They look nice but don't ship to UK.

Loads of online UK retailers that sell them. Mine arrived in a couple of days. I may have used Tredz, Chain Reaction or Wiggle. I forget.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
How did it fail? What happened?
First one the weld came apart on the top cross bar that goes into the block, second one weld failed at the bottom. I can only conclude I overloaded my bag, except I know I didn't. The second certainly took a battering as I used it off-road in Wales.

hoopdriver

Guru
I had some troubles with my Bagman Expedition QR, where the ends of the tubing went into the plastic block for the quick release mechanism and could fall out rather easily. It was needlessly poor design. I think they may have fixed it since them (mine is about ten years old)

Top Bottom