Storm damage… the morning after the night before.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike_P

Guru
87 - woke to the radio almost declaring the end of the world; it was sunny calm and birds chirping and everything as should be.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
My nearest neighbour has gone off with family on a shopping expedition to Glasgow.
He left a straining post about 8ft long and 10 or 12 inches in diameter leaning against the fence separating our gardens. It looked a bit unstable to me and sure enough it has blown over and landed on the gate separating out gardens.
I am not even going to attempt to shift it to get into my own garden.

Rezillo

TwoSheds
87 - woke to the radio almost declaring the end of the world; it was sunny calm and birds chirping and everything as should be.

We woke up to no power and no phone. Outside looked normal enough apart from our neighbour's garage roof, which had blown up in the air and come down at right angles to where it should have been. At this point I realised it was more than just a power cut :smile:

We walked to the single road out of the village, which ended at a T-junction. The road to the left was blocked by fallen trees along its entire length of 400m to a bend (where it turned out to be equally blocked for another 400m). To the right was also several hundred metres of fallen trees, enlivened by arcing power cables.

It was nearly a week before the power came back on and we all cheered the engineers when they turned up. The most amazing sight was at Rendlesham Forest, where huge areas of mature pines were flattened and many tree trunks simply snapped a couple of metres off the ground rather than blew over. This was later thought to be due to a sting-jet - basically, the storm bringing down a small part of the jet stream for a brief period to ground level, with local winds well in excess of 100mph.

AndreaJ

Veteran
Very windy in rural North Shropshire overnight although it is starting to calm down a bit now. Lots of trees down blocking roads.
8E9C25C8-7AB4-4F01-B0AC-B3154C3618B2.jpeg

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
We've lost a ridge tile and the fence line is a bit wonky but otherwise alright.

Saw the odd bit of damage while out walking earlier and I'm told that a neighbour was lucky not to have their cars squashed when a large tree in their garden fell.

FrothNinja

Veteran
Bypass near us was officially closed by two trees this morning when I was out on the motorbike - coupled with the black ice and snow it made for a surprisingly enjoyable and entertaining ride. Did 10km or so on leg power this arvo - quite a few bushes and trees trying to block tow and cycle paths - plus pedestrians who can't hear a bell rung numerous times and then swear at you. Still didn't stop me enjoying the ride. Strava said Overcast clouds, 2°C, Feels like -3°C, which is full finger glove weather - I need to remember that ^_^

Attachments

• DSC_9539.JPG
    DSC_9539.JPG
    342.3 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC_9542.JPG
    DSC_9542.JPG
    380.1 KB · Views: 15
We had our share of winds in the Great Storm of '87. Hard to believe it was 34 years ago and still vivid in my mind.
34 years! Hell.
I slept all the way through it despite living in a shared house where my rattly leaky sash bedroom windows always seemed to be in danger of falling out through dodgy putty. Then walked to the end of the street and saw several large trees downed on the green.

No great problem in London last night.

Top Bottom