Stormy day tomorrow.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
Who was the brave (or stupid, I'm not quite sure) cyclist I just saw on the BBC national news, cycling across the Forth Road Bridge which had been closed to vehicular traffic? Any of our east coasters man enough for that? ^_^

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It blew through here a couple of hours ago.

I went out to do my weekly market shopping but the council had (wisely) decided not to set up the stalls. The only person selling there today was the fishmonger, who sells from a trailer.

It was grim - strong winds, heavy rain, and leaden skies! Things have calmed down now though and the sun is making an appearance.

Local casualties include several umbrellas (inverted, torn to shreds and tumbling down the streets), the local TV transmitter on the hill overlooking the town, and the O2 mobile service which gets its signal from the same mast.

still blowing here - but the rain has currently passed which should make life a touch easier. not looking forward to my journey in 1/2 hr though - seriously thinking of changing to the mtb rather than my road bike - could be a touch more stable (dr's appointment at 3pm some 6-7 miles away and no alternative transport available)

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Who was the brave (or stupid, I'm not quite sure) cyclist I just saw on the BBC national news, cycling across the Forth Road Bridge which had been closed to vehicular traffic? Any of our east coasters man enough for that? ^_^

Yes I saw that as well. It wasn't clear whether he got across or had to be rescued. It looked at best, a rather unwise decision to ride across!

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 2805665, member: 9609"]I think I will spend the rest of the day out on the bike[/quote]
It's actually quite nice here now too, if you ignore the strong NW wind. Was considering a cycle down to Ayr, but there are no trains to get me home again, and 40 miles into that wind on the return journey does not fill me with joy!

Your roving reporter waited until the worst was past and then headed out to record the devastation :smile:

It's calmed down a bit here and the waters receded
2013-12-05%252013.26.10.jpg

Someone lost a wall and had a paddling pool in their garden now
2013-12-05%252013.16.37.jpg

More walls down and in the distance is the culprit. Someone left their car on the front and it got washed down the prom knocking walls down as it went until the RNLI lashed it down
2013-12-05%252013.33.01.jpg

After all that I decided we needed a tea but the cafe was cut off. In fact there were people trying to get out! That's normally a park.
2013-12-05%252013.21.34.jpg

The dog wasn't impressed either
2013-12-05%252013.21.21.jpg

So scenes of devastation here - over to you......

Last edited:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
It's snowing heavily here now..

GC

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
@Arch the next Shipping Forecast is at 17.54 on radio 4 Long Wave. There might be some Hurricane Force 12s'. The last one I heard was the one at 00.48, and there were 12s for Viking, Forties and Fisher.

Sorry I should have mentioned this earlier, but it is on at 00.48, 05.20, 12.00 and 17.54, either on FM or LW (2 each).

asterix

Comrade Member
The tidal surge barrier across the River Hull has just been lowered. In Hull surprisingly.

HW about 19:45.

And yes, it is to protect the city from the water and not to protect the water from the city.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
[QUOTE 2806122, member: 9609"]Not only did I hear that last night, I also thought of @Arch when the phrase "Hurricane Force 12" was uttered.

edit; repeated here on bbc iPlayer link "40 seconds in". Now if that doesn't float your boat, what will ?[/quote]

I couldn't hear the 17.54 one just there. Bum!

Top Bottom