Strange Clubs and Societies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
The Alfalfa Club

They exist solely to throw an annual banquet dinner on the last Saturday of January. The president of the United States is traditionally invited to give a speech, with some of them coming more than once.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Cucumber Growers Association – Supporting the UK Cucumber Industry

"Looking after the collective interests of the UK cucumber industry"

" We have a wide range of CGA banners, leaflets, novelty items and T-shirts"

Cucumber-related novelty items, now there's a thing

bruce1530

Guru
When I was a student, there were of course lots of weird and wonderful and obscure societies. In fact my flatmates and I may have founded a couple.

The reason was simple - if you had an official "society" and got it affiliated to the Student Union, then you were eligible to host an event or two, and student union supplied the meeting room and some beer.

Free beer - the ideal reason to form a society.

This was all just at the tail end of punk, and the punks and anarchists felt a bit left out - everyone else was getting free beer and they weren't.

So they decided to form an "Anarchy Society". Which of course is anachronism, but you can put up with that as long as the beer is free.

However, when the Anarchy Society tried to register itself with the Union, they were told that they needed a written constitution. Which was a problem for anarchists.

So the Anarchy Society simply adopted verbatim the constitution of the Tennis Club, adding a final clause "no member will be bound by any of the above clauses".

Last edited:
Then of course, there's The Flat Earth Society

Apparantly, with members all around the Globe!

1161167_1.jpg

I'm a member of the 5.5mm Society, which is based in the UK and exists to make models of narrow gauge railways to a scale of 1:55. This is so obscure that there are less that 200 members worldwide with I suspect no more than fifteen or twenty of us actually building models.

They have an AGM but obviously I don't actually attend, because that would mean, you know, being sociable...

Last edited:
I'm a member of the 5.5mm Society, which is based in the UK and exists to make models of narrow gauge railways to a scale of 1:55. This is so obscure that there are less that 200 members worldwide with I suspect no more than fifteen or twenty of us actually building models.

They have an AGM but obviously I don't actually attend, because that would mean, you know, being sociable...
That's like the club in the marvellous animation 'Daria'

Top Bottom