strange Garmin behaviour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lee_M

Guru
My ride this morning was a figure of eight, but apparently this confused my garmin edge as each time it came to the cross over point it tried to send me round the same loop

has anyone else seen that?

defy-one

do you have it set to record loops or laps. my one always bleeped outside the house no matter which way in approached.

AndyPeace

My ride this morning was a figure of eight, but apparently this confused my garmin edge as each time it came to the cross over point it tried to send me round the same loop

has anyone else seen that?

yeah! I had this too.. thought I was going mad...kept ending up on the same roundabout junction and circling me back round... took me two times round to realise that in fact they were the same roads ...lol
I've also had a lot of weird stuff to... Evelvation is inaccurate, when I leave my bike at work, it adds 300ft of climbing and seems to ignore the descents on the way home. Yet no problems on my Sunday rides... And my candence sensor went dolally tonight, claiming I was making speedy spins of around 180 rpm, when ,at a guess, it was more like 70-80rpm
My Garmin is only three weeks old :sad:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
As in the link, Francis covers why it does this. I believe newer gps units are better at dealing with routes that cross. Personally I stick to tracks. The only downside is that you have to glance at the screen regularly.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
it may not be classified as a fault but if it doesnt follow a route input even with rerouting turned off then i would argue it is a fault.
it is often in the nature of algorithms that they fail to meet every condition in the manner expected. Is the fault in the algorithm or the expectation?

OP
OP
Lee_M

Lee_M

Guru
it is often in the nature of algorithms that they fail to meet every condition in the manner expected. Is the fault in the algorithm or the expectation?

in this case i would argue the algorithm is at fault.

if i was just entering a being and an end i would understand it going wrong, but adding a complete route i believe it should be clever enough to follow the route. its only a matter of keeping a list of waypoints

if my sailing gps decided to re route me in this way i wouldnt be happy, so why should my cycling system do it?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
in this case i would argue the algorithm is at fault.

if i was just entering a being and an end i would understand it going wrong, but adding a complete route i believe it should be clever enough to follow the route. its only a matter of keeping a list of waypoints

if my sailing gps decided to re route me in this way i wouldnt be happy, so why should my cycling system do it?
what is the definition of 'route', that is key.

OP
OP
Lee_M

Lee_M

Guru
In this case one I created on the garmin web site with their own mapping tools!

Also this is a new edge 800 so the 'old gps' reason doesn't fit either.

Top Bottom