Strange Road Signs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
funny_road_signs_009_913.jpg

Alex321

Veteran
I am actually starting to think it is real now though. The photo on Flickr/wikipedia is slightly different to the one you posted (where did you find it?), and I have found a different one again on Singletrack World, which shows the back of another sign as well, and was only posted 3 years ago.

39027140kq.jpg

Alex321

Veteran
Ok, I was wrong, it definitely exists (or at least did in 2011).

Found it on Streetview
https://www.google.com/maps/@51.428...cXEvvsERDPpAJRLw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?entry=ttu

1706657423286.png

But those distances aren't right. It is closer to 4 miles than 2¼, if you turn left, and more than that if you turn right. There is another sign closer, saying 3 miles.

I have actually cycled along that road, but not from the junction where you would be facing that sign.

Gwylan

Veteran
Ok, I was wrong, it definitely exists (or at least did in 2011).

Found it on Streetview
https://www.google.com/maps/@51.428...cXEvvsERDPpAJRLw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?entry=ttu

View attachment 720317

But those distances aren't right. It is closer to 4 miles than 2¼, if you turn left, and more than that if you turn right. There is another sign closer, saying 3 miles.

I have actually cycled along that road, but not from the junction where you would be facing that sign.

It's measured in VoG miles. That's the Vale of Glamorgan. It's not a universally recognised or defined measure. Casual and informal unit.
Usually used to respond to tourists.

How far's Llantwit, butt?
Couple of miles.....

Gwylan

Veteran
What really gets me is the ¼ :smile:

That's the giveaway. Imagine all those wasted numbers and back slashes if that happened everywhere.
Environmental nightmare. All those numbers trapped.
The entropy of numbers gets dragged in here
If we use all these extra numbers on signs we will have to make the universe smaller. Because we don't have enough numbers to describe it.
And we know the trouble we got into with virtual and imaginary numbers

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
That's a bit like the sign used for a while to flame Sustrans, suggesting that the cycle route to a town was almost twice the distance, starting in the opposite direction. Both distances were wrong: the cycle route overestimated, the A road route underestimated. But that didn't suit the prejudice in cycle clubs.

Top Bottom