Strange Road Signs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I love this DIY road sign. I photographed it on the Dales forum ride a couple of years ago ...

Please drive carefull lambs ont road.jpg

:laugh:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Not a road sign per se but a sign by the road:
DSC0006686.jpg

Yes, coz there are far-eastern factories churning out fakes by the million.:crazy:

A couple from my collection

This one on the road between Tongue and Altnaharra in the north of Scotland, inexplicably in German.
achtung.png

This one on the extremely minor road between Bridge of Orchy and Inveroran.
orchy.png

(I subsequently learned that this was erected after a wildfire destroyed the forest, but still not an ideal thing to encounter on a pitch black October night, when you're in the middle of nowhere, have been walking for hours and all you can hear is deer rutting in all directions). (Google Maps)

Profpointy

Legendary Member
A couple from my collection

This one on the road between Tongue and Altnaharra in the north of Scotland, inexplicably in German.
View attachment 418995

This one on the extremely minor road between Bridge of Orchy and Inveroran.
View attachment 418996
(I subsequently learned that this was erected after a wildfire destroyed the forest, but still not an ideal thing to encounter on a pitch black October night, when you're in the middle of nowhere, have been walking for hours and all you can hear is deer rutting in all directions). (Google Maps)

Very creepy if you've watched the Wicker Man not so long ago

Hitchington

Lovely stuff
WWuC2xU.jpg

Alan O

Über Member
That sign is in Borough Green. There's a story behind it but I'm afraid I can't quite remember it. I believe it is a memorial to a local person, but the details I have forgotten. It has been informally adopted by the council.
Curious - the only thing I can find is http://www.boroughgreen.gov.uk/min2012/Minnov12.pdf, which includes "Noted that KCC will leave the Unicycle sign on The Landway for the foreseeable future."

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Mystery solved. When I first saw it in 2015 I was so intrigued I emailed the Borough green council. I dug through my emails and found their reply.

You have stumbled on one of our little Borough Green secret idiosyncrasies !!

The sign was put up by a young man from the village with the help of some college friends as a prank. He was then tragically killed in a mountaineering accident in Scotland. The sign was spotted by Dot and Dave Sutton, and much hilarity ensued with press speculation, followed by some correspondence with KCC Highways, who saw both the joke and the tragedy, so it was decided to leave the sign as it was as a small memorial to a lad that cheered us all up, unless someone complained it was "unauthorised". But no-one ever has.
Well found!!

Top Bottom