Strange Road Signs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Screenshot_20240405-180535~2.png

🤔

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse

Has anyone seen a cycle track with no bikes allowed ? (Iv'e a bet on with a mate)

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Has anyone seen a cycle track with no bikes allowed ? (Iv'e a bet on with a mate)

I can give you this old streetview of one by the A1076 at Winston Churchill Drive, which used to have a no-cycling sign by the cycle track on the approach to a junction:
1712737344325.png

Note that the no-cycling sign was angled towards the cycle track while the 30 sign was angled towards the carriageway. Of course, cycling is not banned anywhere there, not on the cycleway, nor on the carriageway, and it was an error where the bike-in-red-triangle sign should have been used to warn carriageway users of the junction with a cycleway (just in case they didn't notice all the blue bike signs and the red road surface). It has now been changed.

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
I can give you this old streetview of one by the A1076 at Winston Churchill Drive, which used to have a no-cycling sign by the cycle track on the approach to a junction:
View attachment 727153
Note that the no-cycling sign was angled towards the cycle track while the 30 sign was angled towards the carriageway. Of course, cycling is not banned anywhere there, not on the cycleway, nor on the carriageway, and it was an error where the bike-in-red-triangle sign should have been used to warn carriageway users of the junction with a cycleway (just in case they didn't notice all the blue bike signs and the red road surface). It has now been changed.

Thanks for that mjr, I have won my pint 🍻

albion

Guru

Sustrans Route 1 at Saltburn has a, I assume new sign saying 'No cycling' at the steep top of the off road bit of the route down for the pier.
I did just recent get shouted at going up, myself still assuming it being a safety message only for descenders. There is the Sustrans route 1 sign at the bottom.

Last edited:

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
That reminded me of the following joke:

Two men dressed in pilots' uniforms walk up the aisle of the aircraft. Both are wearing dark glasses, one is using a guide dog, and the other is tapping his way along the aisle with a cane.

Nervous laughter spreads through the cabin, but the men enter the cockpit the door closes, and the engines start up. The passengers begin glancing nervously around, searching for some kind of a sign that this is just a little practical joke. None is forthcoming.

The plane moves faster and faster down the runway, and the people sitting in the window seats realize they're headed straight for the water at the edge of the airport property. Just as it begins to look as though the plane will plow straight into the water, panicked screams fill the cabin.

At that moment, the plane lifts smoothly into the air. The passengers relax and laugh a little sheepishly, and soon all retreat into their magazines and books, secure in the knowledge that the plane is in good hands.

Meanwhile, in the cockpit, one of the blind pilots turns to the other and
says, 'You know, Bob, one of these days, they're gonna scream too late and we're all gonna die' !!

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Screenshot_20240418-204620~2.png

Strangest one has to be this. Horses are fine on the near permanently closed road, but not cyclists nor pedestrians.
(From here keswickreminder.co.uk/2024/01/24/campaigners-baffled-by-reopening-of-thirlmere-road-to-horse-riders-only/)
That makes very little sense. If it is really that risky, no-one should be on it. If it's OK for horses, anyone can be on it...

Alex321

Veteran
That makes very little sense. If it is really that risky, no-one should be on it. If it's OK for horses, anyone can be on it...

Well it obviously isn't "OK for horses", since it says they are strongly advised against using it.

I suspect that what happened was that they applied for an order stopping traffic from using it, and forgot to include horses. When they discovered that, they just made the sign and gate like that rather than applying for another order.

Top Bottom