Strange Sign

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JamesAC

I saw this sign on the Romford Road (east London) yesterday. What does it mean? Why should cyclists dismount? What happens if they don't? What happens if they don't and are involved in a collision with a car? Will the cyclist be culpable?

I'm really quite alarmed by this sign. Clearly, the thinking behind it is that because of the road works along the road, there is a narrow bit, where cars would have to slow down because of the odd cyclist in the way. There can be no other reason. :biggrin::sad:

ChrisKH

Guru
Sign should say "Cyclists Use Main Carriageway (which you're perfectly entitled to do anyway, just ignore the hooting berk in the 4 x 4)"

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Well its an information sign so without looking it up I would say you don't. Also its prob for those folk cycling in the gutter only. I would ignore it but I might not be right.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Rotherham uses identical signs. They are reserved nearly exclusively for main roads with cycle lanes when under a bit of maintenance or utilities work. The theory is that the cycle lane is out of action so cyclists shouldn't be there!

OP
OP
J

JamesAC

Landslide said:
Such signs never seem to be accompanied by a later one saying "Thankyou, you may now re-mount"...

I thought I might get a load of cycling friends to ride along Romford Road to the sign, then dismount, and wait there at the sign, and just see what happened!

Maz

Guru
I saw a roadsign recently in Papworth (Papworth Everard), nr Cambridge. It read "Bypass now open".

Arch

Married to Night Train
JamesAC said:
I thought I might get a load of cycling friends to ride along Romford Road to the sign, then dismount, and wait there at the sign, and just see what happened!

;):biggrin:

I think its legal status would surely be the same as those fixed ones you get on bike paths - advisory only.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
There's a "new cycle route now open" or something like that on a yellow sign near me. It's been up for ages.

I think the problem is the status of a lot of these things is they are signed cycle routes and council officials seem to think we can't live without the things hence weird signs like this or the more common "diversion" sign.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
JamesAC said:
I saw this sign on the Romford Road (east London) yesterday. What does it mean? Why should cyclists dismount? What happens if they don't? What happens if they don't and are involved in a collision with a car? Will the cyclist be culpable?

I'm really quite alarmed by this sign. Clearly, the thinking behind it is that because of the road works along the road, there is a narrow bit, where cars would have to slow down because of the odd cyclist in the way. There can be no other reason. :biggrin::sad:

Stick a post-it note on there saying "road workers please **** off"

Sign was obviously misused, it should have a keep right arrow instead. Tell your council's roads unit ;)

Globalti

Legendary Member
Most of the general public including council employees have no idea of the skill level of the average cyclist. They still think we are nutters who wobble dangerously along falling off at every hazard. They certainly have no idea at all of the cost of a bicycle, having only ever owned a BMX or a second-hand Raleigh roadster as a kid. When I found an £1800 Specialized in a river recently the WPC who took the details was absolutely shocked to learn that bikes coud cost so much.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
It'll be an 'elf & safety thing, won't it. Cycle lane blocked, xo must let cyclists know. No existing 'cycle lane blocked off for a bit' signs in stock, so ....

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Fnaar said:
It'll be an 'elf & safety thing, won't it. Cycle lane blocked, xo must let cyclists know. No existing 'cycle lane blocked off for a bit' signs in stock, so ....

No but there are "keep right" arrows.. ;)

Top Bottom