Strava....Am I the only one who`s sick of hearing about it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I upload to strava so it will work out my time up certain hills for me. Also so that I can see my power and time on a time trial or hill climb course and compare to other peoples power (I am talking about looking at the real measured power values here, i.e. ones with the little lightning strike next to them, not the made up values).

It is marginally useful (and the social side of it can be quite fun now and then), I don't utilise much of it tbh, and I would NOT pay for the PREMIUM analysis features (which are basic and can be had for free elsewhere). It would be great if Raceshape (which utilises Strava) implemented a feature to let you compare between several of your own performances rather than just allowing comparison of your best run vs someone elses best run, that would allow for various pacing strategies to be compared.

AFAIK, my recently uploaded rides to Strava will not be entered into league tables etc as I keep my activities private except for races, for various reasons.

For my serious analysis I use Golden Cheetah on my desktop, it is free and has very good analysis tools. I use Training Peaks online as my coach inputs my plan, then I just upload my file for each planned session once completed (and also any comments), he can then look at the data and comments from his end and reply or make his own comments and changes to my plan etc.

You're right. It used to offer this if I remember correctly. Strava have said they are going to introduce some all singing and dancing comparative function but are coy regarding the features and the timing. It would be useful eg. I was a minute slower than my pb up the Snake this week but no idea if I lost time at the bottom, top or all over the place.
Where can you get the premium analysis for free? As a older fatty I wouldn't mind seeing how I was doing against my peers and not you racing snakes ^_^

BSRU

A Human Being
You're right. It used to offer this if I remember correctly. Strava have said they are going to introduce some all singing and dancing comparative function but are coy regarding the features and the timing. It would be useful eg. I was a minute slower than my pb up the Snake this week but no idea if I lost time at the bottom, top or all over the place.
Where can you get the premium analysis for free? As a older fatty I wouldn't mind seeing how I was doing against my peers and not you racing snakes ^_^
RWGPS offers this functionality, you can virtual race yourself in any segment.

I'm not sick to death of hearing about it but then I hardly ever hear about it.

I started using Garmin Connect at the start of this year purely because I want to keep a record of how many miles I'll have done over the course of the year.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!

I had a brief conversation with the person behind Raceshape, at that point self comparison was not implemented and they didn't indicate any intent to implement it :sad:

By free analysis, I don't mean ordering the tables by age or weight etc, I mean all of the heart rate and power analysis tools etc. You can get them free on various websites I am sure, but the main free analysis tool I had in mind would be Golden Cheetah, the desktop application. You could overlay various activities or whatever and consider where you gained and lost time using this too, but it would be more involved than using Raceshape, which is why I would like Raceshape to have that feature :smile:

Can you not order by age etc using veloviewer etc (I've not bothered with this for AGES)? Thus again achieving the premium features for free!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I've noticed an odd phenomenon - as I get older I'm getting more tech adverse. Even tech I've used for ages, I'm not bothering with anymore. For example, I only use my Garmin when I'm going somewhere I haven't been before and when I'll need directions. Other than that, it stays in the drawer. A wise man (aka @arallsopp ) once pointed out that becoming a slave to the tech means you miss out on all the great stuff about a good bike ride. He was right. Or, it could just mean I'm turning into my dad.
Him being right and you turning into your dad are not mutually exclusive.

Less is more.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
If you enjoy chasing strava segments don't apologise for it, same if you sleep in bus shelters and wear socks with sandals, or you only cycle to work and can't imagine how a 60mile slog could be enjoyable. Don't try to make everyone fit into your ideal version of cycling, we're all different.
'sFunny how so many of us are similar though innit?

Hip Priest

Veteran

The problem is that you're relying on other riders to input their info correctly. I've got Premium, and in the top fatties category, many of the segments are topped by local racing lads who weigh about 9 stone. I don't bother looking at it anymore.

outlash

also available in orange
I like seeing rides like these. You simply wouldn't see this level of detail for these rides without Strava. People can moan about Strava if they want but it gives some incredible insights into a level of racing that most of us will never get near to achieving

http://www.strava.com/activities/139163862

http://www.strava.com/activities/68895651

Have to say with the Women's tour going through streets I know well in Bedford yesterday, I couldn't resist having a look and sure enough...

http://www.strava.com/segments/1455079

http://www.strava.com/segments/5347112

FWIW, I use strava to log my rides, nothing more. There's a few guys in my CC who take it a bit seriously but as long as they're not going for segments on the club run, whatever makes 'em happy...

Tony.

Andy clarke

Ok so you ride solo your not chasing KOM or what ever?! But just stick strava on your app, switch it on stuff it in your pocket track your ride? I find having a computer I front of me a de motivator I will only take my phone out if in on a new route to check google maps. As I cannot find a map ploter in the App Store which to be honest would help a lot more!!!

Top Bottom