Strava....Am I the only one who`s sick of hearing about it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I use mapmyride, doesnt seem to attract the same competitiveness but as said already its not Strava/MMR thats the issue just people being silly on it.

I dont do any club/group riding so cant relate, but I do know about stupid segments lol They do pop up on MMR but I prefer to just monitor my mileage as I have a monthly target this year.

Good to hear I'm not alone in despising it. If people want to prove how good they are they should take out a licence and enter some proper races not bl**dy Strava or sportives.

rb58

Enigma
Good to hear I'm not alone in despising it. If people want to prove how good they are they should take out a licence and enter some proper races not bl**dy Strava or sportives.
I don't despise it, it's just not for me. Anything that keeps people cycling is, on balance, going to be good isn't it?

Venod

Eh up
Its good for keeping track of your rides & links up with the outstanding VeloViewer, the segments and challengers provide motivation for some people, I did consider stopping using it as it was on my mind on every ride, I have now overcome this and will continue to use it, if you don't like it don't use it.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
You should be honest and admit that it isn't Strava you despise, it's the people who use it.

Strava use has grown enormously in recent years so it obviously meets a demand that was previously unmet. Might not be your demand, but it is the demand of a lot of cyclists. In truth, most people (me included) have little chance of being number 1 on a segment, there are so many people using it now. That's not the reason most people use it. But it's a great tool if you want to measure your "improvement". If you're quite happy to pootle around then it's not really for you. Each to their own

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Club runs have always had an element of competitiveness. What's the point in riding in a nice little formation all the time?
Agreed. But Strava seems a lot more unpredictable than sprinting for the 30 sign, or the top of the hill.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
It's not for me but I can see why people would use it.
I measure my effort by how high the hill was or the miles covered, not the time :smile:
Strava sound just the thing for you then.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Saying you hate strava because its antisocial simply illustrates the same ignorance that some drivers show towards cyclists.

We all jump reds right, we all ride on pavements, shout at peds, wear awful fitting lycra, eat lentils, dont wash/pay road tax/have friends/do real sport....zzzzzzz

Strava users are just like you and me, they use strava to help record miles, climbs and share the info with friends, who may find it hugely motiviating to do the same.

The elements that ruin Strava...are people. Some hunt segments, crash about the place trying (and in some cases dying) to beat a stranger who happend to ride there too once. Some lie, ride scooters to boost thier positions, use software to do the same (juicing) and basically act like idiots.

Its these people who everyone dislikes...not the app.

Personally i find two things have made cycling more enjoyable for me...the first was buying a road bike after years of saying there was no point...i was wrong.

The second was giving into Strava, after years of saying there was no point...guess what, wrong again.

Plenty of other sites exists, endemodo, garimn connect, ride with gps etc but none have the universal "facebook" appeal of strava...dont know why...despite the lack of privacy settings on ride with gps its a far superior app to strava.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I upload to strava so it will work out my time up certain hills for me. Also so that I can see my power and time on a time trial or hill climb course and compare to other peoples power (I am talking about looking at the real measured power values here, i.e. ones with the little lightning strike next to them, not the made up values).

It is marginally useful (and the social side of it can be quite fun now and then), I don't utilise much of it tbh, and I would NOT pay for the PREMIUM analysis features (which are basic and can be had for free elsewhere). It would be great if Raceshape (which utilises Strava) implemented a feature to let you compare between several of your own performances rather than just allowing comparison of your best run vs someone elses best run, that would allow for various pacing strategies to be compared.

AFAIK, my recently uploaded rides to Strava will not be entered into league tables etc as I keep my activities private except for races, for various reasons.

For my serious analysis I use Golden Cheetah on my desktop, it is free and has very good analysis tools. I use Training Peaks online as my coach inputs my plan, then I just upload my file for each planned session once completed (and also any comments), he can then look at the data and comments from his end and reply or make his own comments and changes to my plan etc.

Last edited:
Joined, used it, deleted it, now just log rides and pics on RWGPS.
THIS ^^^^

THIS^^^^ again.

RWGPS is great - has a much better online route planning tool than strava does and for the tiny monthly sub you get a phone app that shows you all your current stats; speed, avg speed, time etc as well as turn by turn navigation. That's great for me as i'm a bit of an explorer when it comes to going out.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Love it, and it's been the perfect tool for tracking my recovery. And will be again when I get out of hospital. Segments are fun to look at, but in my condition not something I go chasing

Top Bottom