Strava....Am I the only one who`s sick of hearing about it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
speccy1

speccy1

Well don't start a thread about it then.......:whistle:
I`m allowed to:laugh:

KneesUp

Guru
Pretty sure it was... I sort of remember a blackberry with a cassette...

Could just be me though.
Ha ha :smile:

I have got Strava on mine actually - just - because the new ones run Android apps. Doesn't work though as I need to put google maps on too.

The GPS never seems to lock from in my bag though, so there doesn't seem much point bothering.

MattE72

I found that it encouraged me to try harder. I also compare rides with mates from work who live just a bit too far away to meet up and ride together; we compete in the monthly challenges sometimes.

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.
On a more serious note, there used to be a Strava segment ( not sure if it still exists) that went through my local high street.
Two lanes of traffic merging into one, a Pelican crossing in the middle section, the associated hazard of pedestrians not being aware of a flying cyclist in their midst and stepping out into the road, and vans and lorries partly parked on the pavement .

Total madness. :angry:

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Bit disruptive on club runs. Difficult keeping a tight, tidy group when all of a sudden two or three or more Stravistas (?) jump away from the group, and tear off down the road, re-joining sweaty and breathless at the end of segment. Seriously though, it is becoming a bit of an issue with ride leaders.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
To answer the thread title: no, you're not, @speccy1 :thumbsup:. I'd be less concerned about it, if it wasn't for those who get their priorities screwed up and think that improving their Strava ranking is more important than tedious things such as overtaking properly, giving way to oncoming traffic, etc. Yes, yes, I know: "some people will be idiots, regardless of Strava", but I still get the strong impression that since Strava became popular, there are a lot more reckless cyclists out there.

rb58

Enigma
I've noticed an odd phenomenon - as I get older I'm getting more tech adverse. Even tech I've used for ages, I'm not bothering with anymore. For example, I only use my Garmin when I'm going somewhere I haven't been before and when I'll need directions. Other than that, it stays in the drawer. A wise man (aka @arallsopp ) once pointed out that becoming a slave to the tech means you miss out on all the great stuff about a good bike ride. He was right. Or, it could just mean I'm turning into my dad.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I use it as a convenient store for rides I've done, and because the Strava App was better on the phone than the Endomondo one at the time (which ate the battery).

There are some nice little tools like the heat maps and the combined rides viewers that they do, and if you don't care too much about chasing times/segments then there's no need to chase them. Like many tools it's more about the way you use it than the tool itself.

For example, this is a record of last Monday's audax: -
http://labs.strava.com/flyby/viewer...InQs4CC8xOAgjPzgI6kw4CM4IOgiNPToIOEw6CAqUOgg=

Top Bottom