Strava cheats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

Guru
I’ve had more KOMS stolen. One steep hill slashed by over 5 minutes. Physically impossible on a push bike. He’s used a motorcycle or a car. Can you still flag people? It’s getting ridiculous now!!

I’d find it easier not to care.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I’ve had more KOMS stolen. One steep hill slashed by over 5 minutes. Physically impossible on a push bike.
Whilst I don't think I've lost a KOM this way I have seen on a number of climbs times that I have thought were totally unrealistic, then I've had the opportunity to ride with some of the people that have set the times and thought, yeah ok, fair enough.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
There’s one huge hill that somebody did in 40 seconds. Me and a mate still think that would take some doing in a fast car. The mind boggles!!

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
My mates missus had an off on gravel last year and was recording the ride using Strava on her phone. She forgot to stop the ride after she fell and it continued to record as she was being taken to Worcester hospital in the back of an ambulance. The ride was very impressive with QoMs all the way for about 15 miles. :laugh:
Someone commented and flagged the ride within seconds of it being uploaded.:gun:

Maybe no one is "stealing" or "cheating". Maybe it's just someone using an e-bike who wants to use strava and hasn't noticed there's an "e-bike ride" option and isn't even aware of KOMs.

Aside: In August I got a QOM on a train. When I saved the ride I named it "oops, train" and intended to crop it when I got home. It was flagged well before the end of my admittedly long train journey.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
I’ve had more KOMS stolen. One steep hill slashed by over 5 minutes. Physically impossible on a push bike. He’s used a motorcycle or a car. Can you still flag people? It’s getting ridiculous now!!
One way would be to ditch the app and make strava only useable on a garmin, wahoo or similar. I don't want that to happen though, because then I would have to buy said device :laugh:

burntoutbanger

Veteran
I had a ride of mine flagged.

I was riding along the road but GPS inconsistencies put me on a nearby bridleway where I must have smashed the genuine KoM (and I wasn't even trying). I'm assuming this has happened numerous times to many different rides as I wasn't aware of the inconsistency at the time.

When, some months later, the ride got flagged the Strava bods were fantastic and just removed my time on that segment letting me keep the rest of the ride.

In summary, while I'm sure people do go out to cheat the system I'd just like to point out that some times innocent mistakes can happen.

P.S. Just remembered I'm in a top ten position over a local bridge too with, I think, a time of four seconds. The bridge is approx 75 metres long with a right angle turn both on and off. The KoM is two seconds! There's no way anyone in the top ten is genuine imo. Still waiting to be flagged on that one.

Top Bottom