Strava cheats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
The same thing happened to Mrs Celine when we went out for an evening bimble in August. I left her sitting by the road, sprinted the mile back home, drove back, picked up her and her bike and then drove her the two miles to the hospital. Two QOMs, top speed 75 mph.
The genuine holder of those QOMs complained within 5 minutes of Mrs C uploading the ride, at which time she was trying to edit out the offending segments.
A 10 mile bimble at 10 mph followed by a long stop then a high speed dash ending at the hospital? I think I would have left that a bit longer before querying it.
I swear I've had a glitch reported before I've even uploaded the ride! They're quick on the trigger some people.

The same thing happened to Mrs Celine when we went out for an evening bimble in August. I left her sitting by the road, sprinted the mile back home, drove back, picked up her and her bike and then drove her the two miles to the hospital. Two QOMs, top speed 75 mph.
The genuine holder of those QOMs complained within 5 minutes of Mrs C uploading the ride, at which time she was trying to edit out the offending segments.
A 10 mile bimble at 10 mph followed by a long stop then a high speed dash ending at the hospital? I think I would have left that a bit longer before querying it.
Three years ago (or thereabouts) I was knocked off in London and finished the ride in an Ambulance (fortunately after getting checked out by the Paramedics they agreed I didn't need to go to Hospital). I got a couple of 2nd and 4th paces but I titled the ride as such (Last 5miles in an Ambulance) with a note it'd have to be cropped when I got back to a PC. Some sad people had flagged it before I even had a chance too.

Contrastingly a few years before when I was still fit I got an 'Uh Oh'. So I checked the blokes ride and noticed that one of his group said their ride had ended a crash (ambulance) too. I was quick to ask him if he was OK and thankfully he was quick to respond too. He was very apologetic about the KOM but I wasn't cared I just wanted to ensure he was OK.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I got knocked off my only KOM, fair play to them I was doing 43mph it was really windy and I recall it clearly felt like I was flying. Its a fast bit of road anyway with a downhill bit so not really even a KOM There were 4 of us sitting on 43mph I got the KOM by date been there since 2011 out of nearly 3000 riders got the email in April, actually he is a tosser :-) the top 20 reads like the top 20 local club riders bet they all thought I had done it in car especially as I have a low exercise HR but most of the other segments were inline.

One other irritant which in hindsight was funny, I set up my commute as a segment just so I would get notified when I had done it in a top 3 time, leaving out the last bit of ride but include the right turn in to the road and work entrance, I know for a fact they would never go the route other than KOM hunting, so I deleted the segment and made another as private :-)

bpsmith

Veteran
I like to create longer segments covering multiple climbs or stretches of undulating roads. It’s harder for those that hit individual climbs and burn out. I think it’s generally all good fun tbh.

Ironically, some of those who Strava bash people for taking it too serious, actually take the Strava bashing to new levels of seriousness. :smile:

Edit: Take the Strava W@@@ers Twitter for example. It exists only because of Strava. The irony is amazing.

Last edited:

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Gave up caring along time ago about Strava KOMs. Actually thinking of making all my rides/runs private or just retiring my account. Everything is on my Garmin Connect anyway, distances rode/run are of more interest now.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Im sat laughing at this. I love the Strava wars.

I am not a paid up member but like to use it to keep in touch with guys i know in foreign parts. They are very serious ultra distance riders. But we use it to post photos of the best cake we can find.

But if you do want Strava cheats. I would vote for all those who sit and cycle in their living room during winter and then post it as a ride. I am sure I could ride 50km in my living room every night. Its a bit different after a days work when it is pitch black, belting with rain and freezing cold.

Someone was telling me how they had climbed Stelvio at the weekend. I told them not to be daft. I know its covered in snow at this time of the year. ^_^

400bhp

Guru
Some blokes called Stannard and Tenant seem to have a lot of KOM's around here. Their rides all seem a bit too quick, might have to flag them. One of the rides seems to have been on some sportive called the TOB.. .. They should go and pin numbers on their backs and do some proper racing.:smile: :giggle:

Oh, and that Long Hill KoM of Stannards was done on a solo ride probably. How dare he.:laugh:

We saw Stannard out on the road on NYD coincidentally.

Globalti

Legendary Member
What IS good about Strava is the way it accumulates the records and shows them on the Strava Heatmap of the world. This is fascinating as it shows where people have the time and the money and the energy to go out cycling or running for no reason other than for fun. You also get some interesting results where, for example, hang gliders have recorded their day on Strava as on Parlick Pike just north of Longridge.

Edit: Just looked at this and I see that they have improved the Heatmap massively; it now shows marine and winter activities as well as running and cycling. Here:

https://labs.strava.com/heatmap/#13.91/-2.63365/53.90659/hot/ride

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Aside: In August I got a QOM on a train. When I saved the ride I named it "oops, train" and intended to crop it when I got home. It was flagged well before the end of my admittedly long train journey.

Unless there's a cycle path/road running alongside the railway I suspect all times will be on the train, unless someone has risked life & limb cycling along the tracks :okay:

My wife used to use strava to record horse rides & would often forget to stop recording when she got back into the horsebox :blush: Don't think any of her 'rides' were flagged as she doesn't drive that fast :laugh: although we have his & hers matching Koms/Qoms on one segment, but my time is quicker than hers :okay: 30.3mph v 25.9mph

I spent a while chasing KOMs a couple of years ago, but found it taking some of the enjoyment out of cycling, so now just cycle for enjoyment & don't give a rats ass about what time / ave speed I'm running at, good luck to those that do though :okay:

Top Bottom