Strava cheats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
There were far too many motorbikes for my liking, a real life Stelvio ride must be deafening, fortunately in my garage it sounded like a Spotify playlist.
Really?? Or are you pulling my leg?

Soltydog

Legendary Member
That’s the big tgat I find most interesting. The guy has climbed the Stelvio “virtually” and may well have put more effort in than someone who ventured outside, yet he’s ridiculed.

We gently rib a mate who uses Zwift to do very specific training plans ready for the next step towards qualifying for the Kona Iron Man. He’s used it to get through 2 Iron Man competitions already. Strangely enough he didn’t fall over as soon as he ventured out into the “real world” and has certainly gained hugely in his fitness over the past year.

Who’s laughing I wonder?

Don't think anyone is ribbing those who use strava &/or Zwift, it's just the ones who cheat by whatever means :okay:
Training for something specific/competition I would imagine that they could be very useful tools, but reckon 90% of users are just general folk like myself using it for general fitness & a very small majority doing anything they can to get a KOM. I once looked at segments on Zwift & there's so many ways to cheat that, but some of the top times were over 100mph :wacko: Even riding indoors with no wind resistance on a turbo/rollers I doubt many if any cyclists could get close to 100mph without stupid gearing. Whilst spending an hour on Zwift earlier, think it was the Volcano KOM? 2.7miles ave gradient of 5% & the fastest time was 4 mins 7 secs (40mph ish) ???The next fastest times were all around the 8 min mark, so I suspect someone hasn't got some settings quite right somewhere :smile:

bpsmith

Veteran
Don't think anyone is ribbing those who use strava &/or Zwift, it's just the ones who cheat by whatever means :okay:
Training for something specific/competition I would imagine that they could be very useful tools, but reckon 90% of users are just general folk like myself using it for general fitness & a very small majority doing anything they can to get a KOM. I once looked at segments on Zwift & there's so many ways to cheat that, but some of the top times were over 100mph :wacko: Even riding indoors with no wind resistance on a turbo/rollers I doubt many if any cyclists could get close to 100mph without stupid gearing. Whilst spending an hour on Zwift earlier, think it was the Volcano KOM? 2.7miles ave gradient of 5% & the fastest time was 4 mins 7 secs (40mph ish) ???The next fastest times were all around the 8 min mark, so I suspect someone hasn't got some settings quite right somewhere :smile:
Well, it appears to be intermingled in this thread and elsewhere. Some refer to cheating, as above, whilst others refer to Turbo rides of real world places as cheating too.

You’re definitely right in the cheating bit though. Some fiddling going on for sure. I personally don’t see the point in that tbh.

huwsparky

Über Member
Well, it appears to be intermingled in this thread and elsewhere. Some refer to cheating, as above, whilst others refer to Turbo rides of real world places as cheating too.

You’re definitely right in the cheating bit though. Some fiddling going on for sure. I personally don’t see the point in that tbh.

The main gripe people have with virtual rides as I make it out is recording it as milage, me included. I ride more indoors this time of year and don't record the milage as I don't want it to interfere with 'milage' total. How hard the workout has no bearing, it's a workout, not a bike ride.

I've had a few KOM's stolen over time (illegitimately), I've never flagged any of them, a few of them someone else must have flagged or the rides deleted as they seem to be back in my possession. I'm not really bothered either way personally.

The main gripe people have with virtual rides as I make it out is recording it as milage, me included. I ride more indoors this time of year and don't record the milage as I don't want it to interfere with 'milage' total. How hard the workout has no bearing, it's a workout, not a bike ride.

I've had a few KOM's stolen over time (illegitimately), I've never flagged any of them, a few of them someone else must have flagged or the rides deleted as they seem to be back in my possession. I'm not really bothered either way personally.

No VR ride should appear on real life segments. All VR rides should be defined as such when the ride is uploaded. There are VR only segments that may mirror RL segments but rides and times etc should always be totally separate. There's no excuse for the VR rider to screw up the RL segments.
Programs like BigRingVR will automatically upload their VR rides to Strava already defined as VR ride.

Venod

Eh up
The main gripe people have with virtual rides as I make it out is recording it as milage, me included.

I have no problem with recording miles done on the turbo, last winter I rode Lejog from GPX files, I peddled all of the way no freewheeling as in real life, but no headwinds or tailwinds, I recorded it all as mileage done, probably slower than I would have been in real life.

bpsmith

Veteran
No VR ride should appear on real life segments. All VR rides should be defined as such when the ride is uploaded. There are VR only segments that may mirror RL segments but rides and times etc should always be totally separate. There's no excuse for the VR rider to screw up the RL segments.
Programs like BigRingVR will automatically upload their VR rides to Strava already defined as VR ride.
I personally think that miles are miles, so would include any Turbo mileage @huwsparky.

I absolutely wouldn’t expect Virtual Rides to have any affect on real world segments though. That’s clearly not on. Is that even possible?

Top Bottom