Strava cheats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

huwsparky

Über Member
I personally think that miles are miles, so would include any Turbo mileage @huwsparky.
I don't have a problem with that. I just like looking at my milage tally and knowing that they were done on the road. I keep a seperate log for trainer data but I only look at time and intensity. I don't look at any trainer work as a bike ride, it's just a workout to me. But, I appreciate that how I look at cycling is different to most.

Venod

Eh up
You can sit on a turbo in your conservatory, and produce a gpx file as if you just climbed Mont Ventoux?

Yes there are films of Ventoux that will produce a tcx or gpx file, it will set the resistance as if you are on the road (on a smart trainer) or you can use a GPX file of the route this will also set your resistance and record your time.

The main gripe people have with virtual rides as I make it out is recording it as milage, me included. I ride more indoors this time of year and don't record the milage as I don't want it to interfere with 'milage' total. How hard the workout has no bearing, it's a workout, not a bike ride..

Most of the people that I know that record their virtual miles manage about 2 or 3mph more on their trainer than they ever manage in the real world, so they gain quite a bit of mileage over the winter. Not that it matters to me, they are only cheating themselves.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Most of the people that I know that record their virtual miles manage about 2 or 3mph more on their trainer than they ever manage in the real world, so they gain quite a bit of mileage over the winter. Not that it matters to me, they are only cheating themselves.

Funnily enough yesterday I did a real ride for the 1st time in a week or so, I've been on Zwift whilst the weather's poor & I reckon for the same effort on the flat I was 2-3 mph slower in the real world than Zwift would show, but with wind/road resistance etc that is probably about right, but I've bought a desk fan now to use whilst on the turbo, so that'll give me the wind resistance & maybe slow me down a bit :laugh:

Tom B

Guru
What's a Stavra?

A couple of christmas' ago the family cyclists and runners were discussing the years activities at a christmas gathering when one chap who is far from a strava user asked the father in law who the Italian lad that he keeps going cycling with was ( he posts his Strava activity on face ache) when we all looked puzzled he pulled up on his phone a post saying "Chris was Cycling with Strava".

Back on topic, there is a couple of lad around here that has the Stava name "James Ebiker" and "Charlie Ebiker" they then go around thrashing everyones uphill KOMs and are nowhere on the more techincal sections.

Someone has a few beers then flags them.

huwsparky

Über Member
Wattbike the same, 250w for an hour will see you over 25mph. I need to be doing a minimum of 300w on the road to get near that!

classic33

Leg End Member
What IS good about Strava is the way it accumulates the records and shows them on the Strava Heatmap of the world. This is fascinating as it shows where people have the time and the money and the energy to go out cycling or running for no reason other than for fun. You also get some interesting results where, for example, hang gliders have recorded their day on Strava as on Parlick Pike just north of Longridge.

Edit: Just looked at this and I see that they have improved the Heatmap massively; it now shows marine and winter activities as well as running and cycling. Here:

https://labs.strava.com/heatmap/#13.91/-2.63365/53.90659/hot/ride
Any way of finding out direction of travel?

How accurate is it distance wise. Some follow no track or path, let alone road.

There's a few local ones that ET had to had a hand in. They've flown on some sections.

Globalti

Legendary Member
The Strava heatmap is composed from thousands of individual records, all accumulated together. There's no way of knowing which way they travelled and of course some do not follow tracks or roads because they were running across open country or even flying a glider or hang-glider, as you can see. For me it's as much a sociological measure as a geographical record because it shows where in the world people have time and disposable income. Most of Africa is blank.

Top Bottom