Strava cheats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
generally most Strava times are cheat times. People post moving times. This doesnt take into account getiing stopped at junctions, lights, and also stops for coffee, cake and rest on the way around. I ride is the total time from door to door, otherwise we would all be resting every 20 minutes to get a better time.

Strava segments are total time taken.

There down under too :laugh:

Screenshot_2018-01-13-21-38-11.png

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
Don't think anyone is ribbing those who use strava &/or Zwift, it's just the ones who cheat by whatever means :okay:
Training for something specific/competition I would imagine that they could be very useful tools, but reckon 90% of users are just general folk like myself using it for general fitness & a very small majority doing anything they can to get a KOM. I once looked at segments on Zwift & there's so many ways to cheat that, but some of the top times were over 100mph :wacko: Even riding indoors with no wind resistance on a turbo/rollers I doubt many if any cyclists could get close to 100mph without stupid gearing. Whilst spending an hour on Zwift earlier, think it was the Volcano KOM? 2.7miles ave gradient of 5% & the fastest time was 4 mins 7 secs (40mph ish) ???The next fastest times were all around the 8 min mark, so I suspect someone hasn't got some settings quite right somewhere :smile:
Zwift is a whole different conversation. I feel proud to be out riding in the cold like the last British hard man Wayne Randall. As others are in the house on Zwift.

Johnno260

Veteran
for water breaking during a ride and a quick breather I never pause Strava.

My high street is a complete lottery on the time, if you hit all the red lights you're doomed! haha

To complicate things a little more, Strava say (and I quote).......
To add a bit more detail to the way Strava calculates stopped time (so not the actual stopped time)......

"Strava considers a point "not moving" if your speed is less than 0.3 meters/sec (0.67 mph), but we don't start accumulating resting time unless you're "not moving" for at least 15 seconds".

Basically, if you are doing a lot of short stops Strava will under calculate the time the you are actually stopped.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
If only I was fast enough to care about Strava chats

bpsmith

Veteran
I like the year to date tables personally. Did a few climbs yesterday and was pleased to see my, and my mates, times were fastest for the year. 58 people had done the climb, so happy with that.

It’s proper early yet, and we weren’t going all out, but nice to get a feel for how you relate to others at this time of year.

Top Bottom