Strava cheats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Venod

Eh up
Most of the people that I know that record their virtual miles manage about 2 or 3mph more on their trainer than they ever manage in the real world

I would say that,s about right for a flat or mildly a rolling course (winter timings) but I find I am a lot slower on the uphills on the turbo and although faster on the downhills it doesn't make up for time lost on the uphills, the times on the turbo are very close to my summer times, I am comparing GPX rides of real routes done on the turbo not Zwift rides.

MiK1138

Veteran
What's a Stavra?
Scandinavian Salad I think or it could be an Ikea sideboard

Jason

What's a Stavra?

a really old Stravros

classic33

Leg End Member
M62 anyone?
ChainBar.jpg

Rupie

Über Member
generally most Strava times are cheat times. People post moving times. This doesnt take into account getiing stopped at junctions, lights, and also stops for coffee, cake and rest on the way around. I ride is the total time from door to door, otherwise we would all be resting every 20 minutes to get a better time.

R_nger

Guru
I take your point, and I kind of agree, but it's not true that "People post moving times". People just post GPS tracks. You don't really have an option to post anything else. Strava itself strips out what it considers to be stopped times.

RideWithGPS by the way does give you your overall speed, It does so in a slightly funny form as pace, in min/km rather than speed in km/h. I put in a feature request to get kmh overall displayed. I had quite a nice conversation with the RWGPS person who, it turned out, did randonneuring and appreciated my question. But nothing happened.

I must be doing something wrong...I can see lots of data on my RideWIthGPS rides, including Avg Speed in kph - all on the "metrics" tab (my rides are automatically uploaded to RideWithGPS from Garmin Connect).

bpsmith

Veteran
generally most Strava times are cheat times. People post moving times. This doesnt take into account getiing stopped at junctions, lights, and also stops for coffee, cake and rest on the way around. I ride is the total time from door to door, otherwise we would all be resting every 20 minutes to get a better time.
Not everyone stops whilst cycling. It’s not “real cycling” if there’s a coffee stop.

Last edited:

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
If you add in the StravaX extension into Chrome , you get a raft of stats . Which is interesting if your a data freak. My moving average for the commute can be quite a high 18-19 mph , in spring summer. However the average as measured overall can be 16ish and it’s all due to stop start once I hit Edinburgh city outskirts .
Anyway I gave up on leaderboards a couple of years back . I was in the top 10 for a lot of segments but now I really don’t give a stuff where I am, don’t even bother looking .

Top Bottom