Strava Flyby

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It can be a bit addictive though, following my latest ride I looked at the flyby and some bloke passed me who did 100 miles that day, went and looked at his route and it was the most bizarre thing i have ever seen, took him 13 hours but the furthest point he took was Sunderland (about 20 miles away), the other 80 miles were spent toing and froing across the tyne, into industrial estates, residential estates, then back out then back in again, really weird....I do remember what he looked like so next time we cross paths I might well ask him what the heck he was doing that day !
Dave, I think you need an extension to Strava to view it (found it on DC Rainmaker) but not too sure to be honest. You can also find it on strava labs if you enter your ride id...

Sounds like @Supersuperleeds who does about 9000 miles each day on the way to work ! Anyone would think he didn't want to go there ! :laugh::okay:

Jimidh

Veteran
My only advice on Flyby is make sure your Personal Security Zones are set on Strava to make sure that any enterprising thief can't use it to identify nice bikes and where they live.

bpsmith

Veteran
That's not specific to flyby, but Strava as a whole.

I also have my bikes shown as Summer Bike and Winter Bike rather than actual names.

NeilT21

@fossyant - I think that the strange routes is down to the fact that the bloke that you passed does not reset his route after each ride so that it looks as though he is doing a mega ride, whereas he is actually doing a number of different rides. It's a "feature" of Strava that if you don't tell it you've finished a ride, it automatically pauses and picks up when you start moving again. this is a great feature for when you have a rest stop on a ride, but it does mean that if there is a day in between rides and you don't tell Strava that you have finished, it shows as if it is one continuous trek.

Brightski

Chronos Racing Team
I'm probably late to the party but today I noticed the flyby link on Strava. I've now wasted the best part of an hour seeing who I've seen on my rides. I remember seeing one woman. We both smiled and waved as we passed. And another I remember was in a layby chatting to someone.

I've also found some new routes to explore by seeing where other locals go.
I only noticed it last week, I know most of the local cyclist but the odd one is new to me so it's good to have a butchers..

Globalti

Legendary Member
Was this done on Strava?

Mission-Go-to-Gap-Buy-a-pair-of-Jeans.gif

davdandy

Thanks for the heads up on the fly-by`s.I never knew of it myself but now love it.A great little feature indeed.

steveo269

I thought I saw an old mate other day that I knew from school,I almost called out but he'd gone by then,anyway I got home and saw this thread and had a look,turns out it wasn't him but the guy was in the middle of a 140 mile ride ! made my 20 look a bit puny :blush:

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
My only advice on Flyby is make sure your Personal Security Zones are set on Strava to make sure that any enterprising thief can't use it to identify nice bikes and where they live.
Agreed but I suspect stalking is more likely than theft. One of my mates has already told me that he knows what the girl that we pass on the surly most days, is called...and where she lives.
I wonder how long it will be before Facebook and linkedin ioffer a similar feature I wonder.

On a far less spooky side,I'm have already connected to a rider that I see every day and never talk to...not seen him since but who knows, potential ride buddy?

Top Bottom