Strava - Kudos.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Kudos rules are dead easy....
1) No Kudos for daily commutes (sorry @I like Skol , @dan_bo )
2) No Kudos for indoor stuff
3) No Kudos for utility rides like a quick pop down the shops

Other than that everyone gets Kudos from me. It's only like a Facebook "like", ain't no big deal
Miserable fecker

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
I have one rule for Kudos:

You get on your bike, you get Kudos.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I have one rule for Kudos:

You get on your bike, you get Kudos.

Me too. It’s all about positives. If my kudos makes one person happy or ticks a box, whatever the personal agenda, however far, high, fast or adventurous your ride, I always give kudos. No one is forcing you to be on Strava.

I don’t measure my followers vs following or kudos given vs kudos received or anything like that. For me, it’s just a bit of fun and nice to know my mileage.

It is really easy to not record your ride, make each ride private or simply delete your account if it’s not for you. It reminds me a bit of people who buy a house next to a school and then complain about the noise of the playground at break time.

If kudos on Strava is all you’ve got to worry about, life is probably not to bad for you. Consider yourself a lucky person.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I just use it to say "hi" to people - just like I would if I saw them riding down the road. Particularly useful for friends in other countries who you are not actually going to see riding down the road. Sort of shorthand for "hi, it's nice to see that you are not dead, but I don't have any desire to interact with you beyond that". If they've done some kind of superlative effort I might add a comment.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Don't do a Zwift event - even a training one. You get a stack of random Kudos from weirdos you've never met, nor are on any friends list - how does that work ?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Someone on my feed strava'd an afternoons gardening!

Doing the gardening is far more worthy of kudos than going out for a ride. One's a chore, the other is fun.

I use RideWithGPS as my main ride recording platform. It's much less stressful. All my rides are private by default - so no worrying about what other people think.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Someone on my feed strava'd an afternoons gardening!

I strava'd last year's barrowing of two tonnes of cow shoot.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
The only person I'm interested in competing with is myself. I find Strava useful for letting me know if I am progressing or not.

The only PBs I take notice of are on climbs. My view is simple even when riding with a group we get strung out so an ascent is all down to me. The vast majority of flat PBs are dependent on too many other variables. I only have one flat segment I take notice of - this is so damn fast I'm always dropped so if I PB I know it's my work.

I appreciate getting kudos from friends and club members. I don't feel the majority hand it out with no thought. Myself I won't give kudos for commutes, easy rides, any form of indoor riding, swimming, running, walking. The last three because I don't know the comparisons.

Ultimately it's a bit of fun.

I only 'discovered' Strava in July this year when my friend in Scotland who I used to race with many moons ago told me to join so that we could see each other's rides. Since then, I've joined a local Club and they all use it and giving Kudos for rides is simply a little encouragement and recognition that the effort was made to go for a spin.

It has been a great tool for me to learn new routes too, checking out where others go. Obviously good too as a guide for tracking my own performance and I do like the KOM's, must admit, as there are many local race routes and going after segments on them during training gets a little extra out of me which is good because I am a lazy cyclist otherwise when on my own! ^_^ I've collected 22 so far and knowing pretty decent competitive riders are on the lists makes me feel I'm achieving something even if, in all likelihood, they weren't going for them.

I get that it isn't for everybody, that some aspects aren't for everybody, but it is all just a bit of fun and I don't see why anyone should begrudge that for others even if they don't see the point themselves.

Top Bottom