Strava Morons again!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

As others have pointed out, if you weren't there you don't know what conditions were like when the KOM was set.
Through your own admission there are others that see your 'target' & attempt to beat it, thereby perpetuating the perceived danger to other people, I don't know the section that you refer to, but I have knowledge of the one I am referring to.

I'm sorry to those who hide behind the 'you weren't there', 'you don't know the conditions' but that's just an excuse for your anti-social behaviour, you all appear to be like smokers, can't see the obvious in front of your eyes, or rather don't want to see the obvious in front of your eyes.

But I'm packing the car after my coffee & as said upthread probably never going to ride it again so somebody else's problem. Well until the next time I'm going along the canal towpath & somebody barges people out of the way at 20mph+ in search of their goal.

Toys.
Pram.

Venod

Eh up
Strava like Zwift is open to all sorts of cheating and abuse, it shouldn't be taken too seriously, the only thing I thing I believe is my time compared to previous efforts, it shouldn't promote dangerous riding, but it does, its not going away, so if you don"t like it, don't use it, but getting upset about it is not going to change things, it is good for discovering new routes.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

so if you don"t like it, don't use it, but getting upset about it is not going to change things, it is good for discovering new routes.
It appears to be it's supporters who are getting more upset than I, I just think it's plain silly, my ego is not that frail that I have to prove myself of others.

A lot of off-road segment times are irrelevant and inaccurate. Strava and whatever GPs device is used often makes a bad match between the actual trail and what is ridden. eg.there is a trail that I ride that starts in a narrow, woodland strewn debris in the bottom trench, rises out over the bank steeply decends, steeply ascends, narrow 180 degree turns, tree roots everywhere etc.... so one you have to think about, commit to.
The KOM shown for that is just a few seconds. When you look at the ride of the KOM it's on a paved road some distance from the actual trail and bears no resemblance to the actual segment.
There are many like that - often linking a ride down an innocuous fire road to a highly technical trail running roughly parallel.
So for off-road segments I take the times with a pinch of salt.
Btw ,because Strava now make segments have a minimum distance many off-road segments cannot be meaningfully created as they are deemed too short. The fact that these segments may take a reasonable time to ride because they are very technical or have 20%+ gradient loose climbs doesn't count apparently.

I think the OP's intent is to highlight that certain public paths due to its nature are inherently dangerous to ride at high speeds. Even it is at the dead of the night, one has to account for the unexpected. Roads are different as they designed for speed and no pedestrian traffic expected.

Last edited:

Mr Celine

Discordian
I don't know if it's still the case since I let my premium membership lapse, but it used to be that downhill segments did not have a leaderboard because it was found that that did encourage reckless behaviour.
Downhill segments have had leaderboards since at least 2017 when I signed up. They aren't eligible for segment goals. (Whatever they are.)

The other issue is that strava isn't very good with altitude and doesn't always know which way is downhill. There is a village near me on a hill and presumably locals keep flagging the segments as dangerous. Strava responds to this by promptly deleting what is actually the uphill segment. :laugh:

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
I think the OP's intent is to highlight that certain public paths due to its nature are inherently dangerous to ride at high speeds. Even it is at the dead of the night, one has to account for the unexpected. Roads are different as they designed for speed and no pedestrian traffic expected.

What you are saying then, is that shared paths and the like are not suitable for high speed antics as they are inherently dangerous due to unexpected things happening.

Roads though are different, as the only danger there is if something unexpected happens.

I am glad we got that cleared up :laugh:

Have you flagged the segment yet OP ?
When a segment is flagged it doesn't actually disappear,it just doesn't automatically show a leaderboard.If you want to appear/show on the leaderboard you have to tick a coupleof boxes to say you recognise it's flagged.
There'a another segment near me that keeps getting flagged and another one created in another namet get over the flagging. IMO there's nothing dangerous about it. A section of rooty singletrack up and down but nothing steep an no drops. Never seen a walker on it either.It wouldn't be that comfortable to walk.

What you are saying then, is that shared paths and the like are not suitable for high speed antics as they are inherently dangerous due to unexpected things happening.

Roads though are different, as the only danger there is if something unexpected happens.

I am glad we got that cleared up :laugh:
The operating word is "shared".

Pedestrian don't share the road with vehicles. I would be cautious when it comes to a shared path. All it takes is a young child to run cross and I won't be able to live with myself. I have no doubt my family, the community and the media will have a field day even I said that it is 6 am and no one uses the path as that time.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
22.8? Up that track. Bloody hell. I am thinking moped!
I know the Bure Valley well and don’t believe it’s conducive to belting along, not if you want to keep your fillings in. It’s narrow too, no room for error.

Top Bottom