Strava Morons again!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
If its dangerous then report it and Strava may remove it. A few years back I reported one on a Bridleway which crossed a footpath - to cross a footpath flat out with limited fields of view was ridiculous. I grassed it to Strava and a few days later it was removed.

bitsandbobs

Über Member
22.8 mph - pah!

I was a bit surprised to find one I rode recently had a KOM with an average of 37mph. The segment is quite a narrow residential road with quite a few side roads. It's flat and not that busy, but it's unusual for there not to be any cars or cyclists. I realized that the person with the KOM is a well-known pro (he won a semi-classic this year and scored top tens in three other major one days races), so I hope he knows what he's doing.

22.8 mph - pah!

I was a bit surprised to find one I rode recently had a KOM with an average of 37mph. The segment is quite a narrow residential road with quite a few side roads. It's flat and not that busy, but it's unusual for there not to be any cars or cyclists. I realized that the person with the KOM is a well-known pro (he won a semi-classic this year and scored top tens in three other major one days races), so I hope he knows what he's doing.
37mph does sound like he's forgotten to stop his Garmin and driven home ? Who can do 37mph on the flat ?

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I once rode at 34 mph for three miles along a shared path. I got 2nd place on Strava to one Simon Yates. The sight lines were excellent there were no pedestrians. Do I regret it? No. It was approipriate for the conditions at that point in time.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

You're complaining about someone using a shared path to record times - which is just the same as you're doing ?
You're clearly spoiling for an argument on the matter, however I'm not, if you can't see the difference between 23 & 9 on a shared path then you can't, but I can.

Reactions: C R

DRHysted

Guru
I once set a KOM that a young wipper snapper that did triathlons couldn’t beat. The reason was that I did it on my commute at 4am and he commuted at 7am.
Different circumstances produce different situations and making judgements without accurate information will be biased judgements.

You're clearly spoiling for an argument on the matter, however I'm not, if you can't see the difference between 23 & 9 on a shared path then you can't, but I can.
You're missing the point though.
What is an acceptable speed here - you seem to think it's up to you given that you weren't there when the 22mph PB was set.

Is 12 fine ? 15 ? 18 ?

I use a shared path every time I ride pretty much. I don't even check my PB for that - it's just not the place for it.

Context is key. There's a well-travelled stretch of NCN7 on the outskirts of Dumbarton where you have a clear sight line for almost exactly 500m, and due to the entrance to the path being narrow and with one of those obnoxious gate things you see on shared paths right before a 90' turn, all efforts are forced to start from a virtual stand-still. The KOM currently sits at 29.2mph and my PR is 23.8mph. I can only think of two ways it would become a dangerous segment:
a) if someone kept going when they could see that the path wasn't clear
b) if someone tried to eke out a few extra seconds by taking the entrance aggressively quickly they could prang themselves.

In neither case does the fault lie with strava or the segment.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

Our views differ but as likely as not I'll never ride the trail again I'll not worry, the view appears to be KOM's more important than safety.

Brains

Legendary Member
There was (still is?) a segment around the Tower of London that I used to ride on a daily basis.
I knew every possible turn and bump to get the maximum possible speed.
I forget now exactly what my fastest time was, but it was something like 1m 47s
I never managed to trigger the 30mph speed camera.

Strava reckoned the KOM was 27 seconds.
If true, then the bike must have had over 1,000cc in the "legs" and paid a whopping fine for exceeding 100mph in a 30mph zone.

So don't believe all you see on Strava

Top Bottom