Strava Morons again!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As an analogue cyclist, not linked to satellites or internet when on my bike, I am aware of this new-fangled Strava thingy but always thought that KoM (King of Mountains??) was for fastest climbs not jaunts through shared paths on the flat dodging dog-walkers and kids on balance bikes.

As an analogue cyclist, not linked to satellites or internet when on my bike, I am aware of this new-fangled Strava thingy but always thought that KoM (King of Mountains??) was for fastest climbs not jaunts through shared paths on the flat dodging dog-walkers and kids on balance bikes.
KoM is a holdover term from when it was predominantly about climb segments that were generated automatically from uploaded rides. As any user can make any part of any route a segment, KoM is definitely a misnomer.

Back in 2013 or so it was very much the wild west where anyone could have a go and stand a decent shot at posting a competitive time, but now most records are so far beyond the average rider these days, at best most are using their own previous rides as a benchmark against which to test themselves.

I don't know if it's still the case since I let my premium membership lapse, but it used to be that downhill segments did not have a leaderboard because it was found that that did encourage reckless behaviour.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
What's a 'Roadie' anyway?

I can understand differentiating between Mountain bikes but whats the official CC definition of one?
I believe it is a highly accurate definition that can only be used by those well past their prime who are upset about people being faster than them. I am only past my prime but can still average over 20mph on a good day, so I have not been told the full definition yet.

byegad

Legendary Member
I went up into the Yorkshire Dales for a circular ride a few years ago.

I put the trike in the car and parked in Reeth. Back home I was amazed that the top speed on my GPS was 70mph! I knew I'd been hossing it a bit dropping from down from Tan Hill to Reeth, but.....

Then I looked at the average speed and realised I'd left the GPS on and the way home in the car. Which is mostly motorway.

I uploaded a ride to Strava that contained a short downhill segment. I use it every day and reach speeds of 32mph. Segment is half a mile max and in a very quiet location.

This particular day Strava refused to allow my route to be uploaded because my top speed indicated that I must have been in a car.

Strava refused to look into the position because I recorded the ride on Android phone. They seemingly only understand iPhone problems.

I uploaded a ride to Strava that contained a short downhill segment. I use it every day and reach speeds of 32mph. Segment is half a mile max and in a very quiet location.

This particular day Strava refused to allow my route to be uploaded because my top speed indicated that I must have been in a car.

Strava refused to look into the position because I recorded the ride on Android phone. They seemingly only understand iPhone problems.
That seems odd. We've all seen plenty of activities that have included a car ride ? And , I can't believe they'll flag a ride with a 32mph bit. Pros would never get rides uploaded ?

Did they tell you this was the reason ?

That seems odd. We've all seen plenty of activities that have included a car ride ? And , I can't believe they'll flag a ride with a 32mph bit. Pros would never get rides uploaded ?

Did they tell you this was the reason ?
Yup. It was flagged up automatically. Red warning messages that I'd used a car. Several e-mails with Strava ended when they found out I'd used the Android app. They quite bluntly told me that their system was written principally for iPhones and they couldn't change anything.

Funny thing is that I go down here on every ride and am local legend on the segment. They obviously accept every other ride, but this one particular ride is not allowed. It still shows on my Strava account as an ineligible ride and nothing I can do can change that.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
You at some point have chosen to make your rides private. By default they are public

https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us...acy-Defaults-when-you-Create-a-Strava-Account

Indeed, when setting up profile, you can set your default to private, and only share the ones you want, and even then only with your mates if you want. None of your rides need to be public.

Mr Celine

Discordian
I still have one KOM which the OP will no doubt be appalled to discover is on a short loop of off road path frequented by dog walkers.

This segment was originally a winding muddy path suitable only for a MTB. This was destroyed as part of a flood prevention scheme and a temporary construction route was built. This was hugely over-specified, it even had white lines on it, along with billiard table smooth tarmac. It didn't quite follow the route of the original, but at least half of the times I rode it strava matched it to the original segment. There was never any construction work going on at weekends or in the evening when I went that way, nor were there any dog walkers, plus all the vegetation had been cleared so sight lines were excellent.
About six months after I set my KOM the construction works were altered, the road was reduced to half the width and a temporary bridge over a small burn, complete with two year old perfect tarmac, was removed and replaced with a narrow wooden bridge. This is so slippery when wet I crashed on it last winter when coasting unclipped at walking speed.
Every now and again I have a look at the leaderboard to see who's been having a go recently. None of the local speed merchants, ie the time trialists 30 years younger than me, have got anywhere near my KOM, the best on the modified course being 4 mph slower than me.^_^

As others have pointed out, if you weren't there you don't know what conditions were like when the KOM was set.

Top Bottom