Strava oddities.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've just had a good look at the ride I did yesterday, on Strava. It's thrown a right wobbler on one small segment. It seems to think I did a 23% climb, at 14 mph, and a VAM of about 5500:laugh:. I did the climb, and I can confirm, it wasn't done at 14 mph, and I'm not even sure a VAM of 5500 is possible in a Saturn 5 rocket:eek:. Has anyone else encountered any very odd data from whichever logger they use.

Venod

Eh up
I have this KOM, I had a tail wind but find it hard to believe I am that much in front of everybody, I think there may be a corruption somewhere.

https://www.strava.com/segments/1524059

I also have this KOM, the climb is off road I must have picked the start and finsh up while going along the road, there are a few like this.

https://www.strava.com/segments/7646333

Last edited:

Soltydog

Legendary Member
The KOM on this segment https://www.strava.com/activities/467206997/segments/11226515717 is at 41.8mph,however if you look at their ride, the maximum speed of the ride is less than that :blush: Both club mates & ones a young lad, so I haven't spoilt his glory :smile: I only noticed after posting my best time on my single speed :wacko: when I looked my ave speed on the segment was higher than my maximum on the ride. Think you tend to get more glitches on the shorter segments where a few seconds can make a major difference

subaqua

What’s the point
yup , have several nutty ones that I have deleted.

My best one was a trip to the azores and back in 55 minutes . that put me to the top of a monthly compettion and boy did the posers get all pi55y with the comments.

I can only assume the GPs system went abit bonkers that day

Venod

Eh up
This is an odd one, whoever created it went west before doing a u turn & going east, but the segment is usually ridden just west to east so the start is picked up without the starting loop of the original segment making everybodys speed for the segment higher than it really is.

https://www.strava.com/segments/6983691

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
I often record a speed of over 44mph on a segment called "John Woo", which covers South Colonnade in Canary Wharf.

44 mph, through traffic and pedestrians stepping out all over the place, on a heavy Mongoose Crossway with 37mm tyres.

I think it's lying.

When folk report their rides on here using Strava, I nearly always wonder how the metres climbed seems to be so high. In areas that are flatter than where we live people are recording rides with far higher metres climbed for a similar distance. We have 2 checks, barometric pressure with gps and barometric pressure alone. Also I commit 2 or three readings at different places on the ride to memory then check them with a height above sea level map back at home, so far they have always been accurate. So what is happening here?

I don't have a smart-phone or GPS device so can't really use Strava. This summer I went for a ride with a friend around Cambridge and he lent me his spare device. It was all quite fun racing each other on the odd segment, and by the end of the ride I was seriously thinking of asking the birthday fairy to Garmin me up. Until we got back to his house and found that he had apparently cycled 7 miles more than me, despite us doing exactly the same route, and beaten me on every Strava segment we encountered, despite the fact that I was fastest at most. He registered a top speed of 67mph. I knew at that point that Strava was not for me.

Tin Pot

Guru
I don't get Strava.

I tried it on my commute home, found out I'd completed 70 segments! And not top of any of 'em.

Shouldn't it notify you that a segment is starting?

I don't get Strava.

I tried it on my commute home, found out I'd completed 70 segments! And not top of any of 'em.

Shouldn't it notify you that a segment is starting?

I think all that depends on what kind of device you're filtering it through. I think the high-end Garmins and such allow this feature, but I may be wrong.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
When folk report their rides on here using Strava, I nearly always wonder how the metres climbed seems to be so high. In areas that are flatter than where we live people are recording rides with far higher metres climbed for a similar distance. We have 2 checks, barometric pressure with gps and barometric pressure alone. Also I commit 2 or three readings at different places on the ride to memory then check them with a height above sea level map back at home, so far they have always been accurate. So what is happening here?

This happens on all my rides, Strava gives me a good 25% more climbing than I really do.

blazed

220lb+
Strava follows what any device with a barometric pressure sensor reads. Which is the majority of Garmins. Strava trusts this data so does not adjust it.

You'll only get innacurate climbing data if you record with a device without a barometric sensor.

Top Bottom