Strava oddities.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
last cycle..( a flattish run)

Polar Flow.. 624 ft
Endomondo ...840 ft
Strava ...800ft
Garmin Connect...973 ft.

Recorded on a Polar thingy then file downloaded and upped to Garmin...

blazed

220lb+
Well then, Garmins are not accurate.
I'd say a calibrated edge device with barometric sensor is accurate within 5%+-

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I've decided a lot of my difference is due to my gps unit and the barometric pressure being wrong on that rather than Strava, I've switched it back to altitude by GPS and it looks much better today

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Strava follows what any device with a barometric pressure sensor reads. Which is the majority of Garmins. Strava trusts this data so does not adjust it.

You'll only get innacurate climbing data if you record with a device without a barometric sensor.

Why use barometric sensor when you are using GPS. Does GPS not give you 3D data on your position?

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
My ride home from work gives me a different elevation, every time, despite an unchanging route.

Well, I might change it slightly this evening, for reasons that may become apparent.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I thought this was odd ...

Someone has just followed me on Strava ... WTF?

I set up my Strava login some time ago (so that I could follow Steve Abraham) I have never uploaded anything, and provided only the minimal possible profile information. Even my name isn't very interesting. So why on earth would anyone want to follow me.

Colin_P

Guru
There are two segments West to East and East to West on a path right by the side of the M4 at Bray where it crosses over the Thames...

The KOM's are are 80.6mph and 78.4mph.

More likely due to people forgetting to switch off their GPS devices whilst going to from a bit of cycling rather than anything heroic on a bike.

Interestingly though, there are a fair few others who are doing over 70mph and are incriminating themselves! This cannot be the only instance on Strava.

As for elevation data, I think it should be taken with a pinch of salt!

Booyaa

Veteran
I thought this was odd ...

Someone has just followed me on Strava ... WTF?

I set up my Strava login some time ago (so that I could follow Steve Abraham) I have never uploaded anything, and provided only the minimal possible profile information. Even my name isn't very interesting. So why on earth would anyone want to follow me.
People seem to do this in the hope you will follow them and give them "kudos" which somehow boosts their egos.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
Chapel House Sprint on the Isle of Dogs.

0.1 mile.

KOM time: 5 seconds. 72.7mph.

I reckon there'll be a regular visitor to here along shortly, saying he can do it in 0:03.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
People seem to do this in the hope you will follow them and give them "kudos" which somehow boosts their egos.
I'm doing well. Followers: 3; Rides posted: 0.

I fear my eager public may have a long wait to see my awesome performance data, as I don't plan on uploading anything. Still, they can hope.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
image.jpeg

This is one of my oddities - I cycle up the road below it.... It usually gets the rest of my journey correct but tends to think I take a different road at that one point of my journey!

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Re the climbing data. The issue is the granularlty of the device's measurement. For regular GPS devices (such as a phone) it doesn't record those very small ups and downs you do all the time. As far as the GPS is concerned, that is "flat". A barometric pressure device (such as a Garmin) does record those very small ups and downs

So, if you regard those small ups as climbing then the Garmin is the accurate data. If you don't, it isn't

I get this all the time. I planned a route using ridewithgps that said it had 4000ft of climbing (presumably based on some mapping system). My garmin recorded about 4700ft

Eribiste

Careful with that axle Eugene
I got 'Garmin taxed' the other day. I rode in to work at a reasonable pace, 27.4 kph average for the 21 klicks from Eckington to Worcester. I forgot to stop and save on my Edge 200, but it is set to auto pause and thus endured a pause of 8 hours. When I came to start out for home, the device resumed at 21.1 kph average. The bike was shut inside a modest room, so I don't think it went for a wander on its own. Out of interest I'll try this again and see if there are any ghost kilometres added during a long auto pause.

Top Bottom