Strava Premium cost difference

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

maxfox44

Hi Guys

I've been using Strava free for 18 months or so now and having got a Garmin Edge 820, I thought I'd go premium and get the segments live on screen to add a bit of interest.

I'm slightly puzzled by the cost. If I go on their website and "go premium" it's £39.99/yr or £3.99/mo. But if I "go premium" on my iphone, it's £44.99/yr or £5.99/mo.

Anyone seen this? If I buy via the website, I assume it will upgrade my app too, but not sure????

U

User6179

Sign up for the 60 day free trial on the website and cancel before the 60 days ends if your not happy with it .

U

User33236

It's probably the Apple tax! They take a % cut of every transaction via the App Store and associated apps.

You can get live segments without going premium via this website. http://gniza.org/segments/

From what I tested I could see no difference between what the site above did and what Strava gives in respect to live segments.

D

Deleted member 26715

But it's a scam company that wants your CC details before giving you something FREE, this should be illegal, I thought it had stopped last century

U

User33236

But it's a scam company that wants your CC details before giving you something FREE, this should be illegal, I thought it had stopped last century
I fail to see how they are a scam company.

OED definition of scam: A dishonest scheme; a fraud.

In return for providing your credit card details, and for zero cost, they provide with with the as promised access to their premium membership for an agreed period. At the time of signing up you agree to allow them to charge your CC an agreed fee to continue your premium membership unless you choose to cancel it which you are freely allowed to do. Nothing in the terms above strikes me as dishonest or fraudulent.

Of course they rely on people forgetting but, whilst morally questionable, it is not a scam. If you think you might forget then do what I did and sign up then cancel 30 seconds later. Your free trial still continues until the expiry date without risk on being charged.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member

In return for providing your credit card details, and for zero cost, they provide with with the as promised access to their premium membership for an agreed period. At the time of signing up you agree to allow them to charge your CC an agreed fee to continue your premium membership unless you choose to cancel it which you are freely allowed to do. Nothing in the terms above strikes me as dishonest or fraudulent.

Of course they rely on people forgetting but, whilst morally questionable, it is not a scam. If you think you might forget then do what I did and sign up then cancel 30 seconds later. Your free trial still continues until the expiry date without risk on being charged.
I reckon it was a joke.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Hi Guys

I've been using Strava free for 18 months or so now and having got a Garmin Edge 820, I thought I'd go premium and get the segments live on screen to add a bit of interest.

I'm slightly puzzled by the cost. If I go on their website and "go premium" it's £39.99/yr or £3.99/mo. But if I "go premium" on my iphone, it's £44.99/yr or £5.99/mo.

Anyone seen this? If I buy via the website, I assume it will upgrade my app too, but not sure????
I think its an apple tax thing too.

Either way, I believe strava is worth supporting. Not that you actually get a lot more for your money, its still worth backing them.

D

Deleted member 26715

You have your friend the OED have your definition, I have mine, it's a scam in hope that a percentage of h people falling for it fail to cancel, QED Scam!

I reckon it was a joke.
Nope

Jody

Stubborn git
Either way, I believe strava is worth supporting. Not that you actually get a lot more for your money, its still worth backing them.

You are supporting them by giving them oodles of data that they can sell on to people.

Slick

Guru

Ahhh, the penny finally drops. Somebody on here sent me a link to go premium but as I still had to give them my CC, I renaged. They told me to cancel but I never thought you could do it 30 seconds later.:banghead::laugh:

Not really oodles, beyond my initial details, which any airport in Europe demands any time I log onto their wifi....its just data on where I ride.

Which is useful for selling advertising space targeted by location.

If something is free, it generally means that you are the product.

U

User33236

Which is useful for selling advertising space targeted by location.

If something is free, it generally means that you are the product.
I presume most people accept this when they sign up for such services, there are of course many examples spread across the internet.

As discussed in this thread Strava offer additional services for a fee, or at least your CC details in retun for a free trial. If you don't like the terms then simply do not sign up. As I point out above there are some free* sites offering some of the services Strava offers to subscribers.

*Off course they can gain revenue from selling your data.

Top Bottom