Strava Pricing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Its an interesting report as he is good at what he does. I doubt if there will be stampede to cancel subscriptions as Strava has pretty much got the monopoly it the statistics side of the field. But it is good that has spoken out to explain what Strava is not saying

I do not see why Strava is reluctant, even if they were doubling all the prices. There has not been a price increase in 10 years. A 100% price increase is easier to defend than sneaking around behind peoples backs.

Being in Denmark, I do not think I will be effected. I would have paid the price rise without complaint. But because of Stravas actions I have that feeling of mistrust towards them. They have not done their reputation any good.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Sneaky, deceitful and underhand.

If they were confident of their price increases and structure - you’d think it would be clear for all to see.

Thankfully for me the free version does all I want. But IF I paid a subscription; being a man of morals - I’d likely be voting with my feet at this point…..

PaulSB

Legendary Member
First I'm not an apologist for Strava, my motivation for having a subscription is I like to pay for a product I'm using to support the company which supplies it. Same with Komoot and RWGPS. I doubt I make any worthwhile use of the additional features. I've read the DC Rainmaker article twice and think one should keep this in perspective. He's writing for a worldwide audience and I live in the UK. My subscription will increase by £7pa. I'm not concerned by this though I admit I'll think twice about whether I need Strava or not, but then I do that most years anyway. From what I can gather this represents a 15% increase in my annual subscription which matches the £ v $ exchange rate changes. Nothing Strava can do about this.

The monthly charge has increased significantly it seems. Quite understandable as well. First the exchange rate changes account for 15%, then US inflation of 6-8% and one should consider the costs of running a monthly account will be greater than an annual one. RWGPS give me a 33% discount on my Premium plan for paying annually, it seems Strava are prepared to give me 48%, I'm happy with that. £55 per annum is £4.58/month which is less than people are paying monthly at present.

The obvious answer for users is to switch to an annual subscription.

Good morning,

...... £55 per annum is £4.58/month ......

A couple of years ago one of my favourite beers (Salopian Kashmir 5.5%) was selling at £3.50 per pint in my local, it is now £4.80.

So if Strava is useful to you then it is still close to free.

I don't pay for it as after the novelty period expired I found that I was recording maybe one ride every two months which makes it expensive.

I wouldn't be averse to making a one off payment that gave me say 1,000 miles or 40 rides, I have no idea whether many people would also pay on this basis though.

Bye

Ian

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Good morning,

A couple of years ago one of my favourite beers (Salopian Kashmir 5.5%) was selling at £3.50 per pint in my local, it is now £4.80.

So if Strava is useful to you then it is still close to free.

I don't pay for it as after the novelty period expired I found that I was recording maybe one ride every two months which makes it expensive.

I wouldn't be averse to making a one off payment that gave me say 1,000 miles or 40 rides, I have no idea whether many people would also pay on this basis though.

Bye

Ian

And is anyone writing long blogs about this? I doubt it. I feel the highlighted sentence puts it all in perspective, prices are increasing dramatically everywhere. As a pensioner my income is limited and I don't have any real potential to improve it (yes, I know 10% in April) but I hope people get the point. About six months ago I went through all the annual subscriptions I enjoyed having, not just cycling, and asked the question "Do I need this?" I dumped several and emailed the companies saying "Sorry, as a pensioner I have to make economies." I can't say I've missed any of them. In truth I wouldn't miss Strava but it's part of having fun and interacting with all my cycling buddies so I'm happy to pay at this level. Hit £100 and I might think a lot harder.

I've just gone through all my emails including binned ones and i can't see any emails mentioning a price increase.
At the moment i am paying £4.99 pm and on the web i have read about that going up to £8.99.
I might have to email Strava and see whats going on.

vickster

Legendary Member
I've just gone through all my emails including binned ones and i can't see any emails mentioning a price increase.
At the moment i am paying £4.99 pm and on the web i have read about that going up to £8.99.
I might have to email Strava and see whats going on.

Go to your Account page on the website (not app) and it’ll potentially give you details of a price increase. You can follow a link to this info…

Beginning February 2, 2023, updated Strava subscription prices go into effect for current subscribers in select regions that purchased a subscription prior to November 23, 2022.

You will receive notice of your updated price 30 days before your subscription renewal date and your subscription will automatically renew at the updated price unless you cancel at least a day before. The renewal price shown on your Account Page may not be updated until changes go into effect. To learn more or cancel, review your subscription.

If you purchased a subscription on or after November 23, 2022, your price will not change

I pay annually and it says it’ll be £47.99 when I renew in July, the same as last July

First I'm not an apologist for Strava, my motivation for having a subscription is I like to pay for a product I'm using to support the company which supplies it. Same with Komoot and RWGPS. I doubt I make any worthwhile use of the additional features. I've read the DC Rainmaker article twice and think one should keep this in perspective. He's writing for a worldwide audience and I live in the UK. My subscription will increase by £7pa. I'm not concerned by this though I admit I'll think twice about whether I need Strava or not, but then I do that most years anyway. From what I can gather this represents a 15% increase in my annual subscription which matches the £ v $ exchange rate changes. Nothing Strava can do about this.

The monthly charge has increased significantly it seems. Quite understandable as well. First the exchange rate changes account for 15%, then US inflation of 6-8% and one should consider the costs of running a monthly account will be greater than an annual one. RWGPS give me a 33% discount on my Premium plan for paying annually, it seems Strava are prepared to give me 48%, I'm happy with that. £55 per annum is £4.58/month which is less than people are paying monthly at present.

The obvious answer for users is to switch to an annual subscription.

He is highlighting the significant increases in amongst class of members / users, lack of transparency and refusal to disclose the latest complete pricing model despite the email back and forth. The significant increase has no correlation to the recent exchange rate movement or the current economic climate.

The failure to disclose the complete pricing model across all classes of memberships serves one obvious purpose. Taking advantage of the ignorant or less discerning members.

The other troubling issue is the difficulty in moving from the more lucrative monthly pricing model to the cheaper annual pricing model. It is not a straight forward switch. You have to close the account.

Looks like you completely missed every salient point and the intent of the article.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
He is highlighting the significant increases in amongst class of members / users, lack of transparency and refusal to disclose the latest complete pricing model despite the email back and forth. The significant increase has no correlation to the recent exchange rate movement or the current economic climate.

The failure to disclose the complete pricing model across all classes of memberships serves one obvious purpose. Taking advantage of the ignorant or less discerning members.

The other troubling issue is the difficulty in moving from the more lucrative monthly pricing model to the cheaper annual pricing model. It is not a straight forward switch. You have to close the account.

Looks like you completely missed every salient point and the intent of the article.

I would ask you to read my post again. My only remark about DC Rainmaker's article was that he is writing for a worldwide audience and as I'm in the UK I need to keep it in perspective. In terms of price increases I'm only concerned by UK rates. At worst this will increase by £7, a reasonable amount given economic circumstances.

At no point did I criticise the article, take issue with or comment on any of the points made by DCR.

You say the increase has no correlation to recent exchange rate movement or the current economic climate. You choose to criticise me for, apparently "missing every salient point," again may I ask you read my post once more and note the two points I took from the DCR article, exchange rate change of 14% and US inflation of 6-8%. In relation to the UK they make sense to me. My maths shows me, in USD $, I will be paying much the same with the increase being due to exchange rate variance which DCR states is 14%.

2023 £54.99 = $66
2023 £47.99 = $58
+/- a 14% drop in $ earnings

£47.99 +14% = £54.70 = $66

As I made no comment on the DCR article other than I feel it addresses a worldwide audience please demonstrate which salient points i missed?

tom73

Guru
@PaulSB says I can't really see what point the the blogger is trying to get at. They are free to charge what the market can take I only have the free account so can't so if even a moistest increases is worth it. As for it being hit and miss as who pay's more you get that with many chargers. Depends where you are on the payment cycle as to when price increases kit in.
As for not emailing everyone I don't know how profitable they or where the money has gone. I do know Strava have grown it's customer base over the last few years it's just added even more sports recently. Maybe it's more down to the lack of capacity of back room system not keeping pace with company growth. Than down right backhanded ethics.

It's not ideal and best avoided but it sounds like it's clear for anyone to check what they are/will be paying via account settings.
If you're paying for anything it's part of the process to check the account is what you think your paying and getting for your money.
So you cant say you don't know about it.

Top Bottom