Strava speeds

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

L2XE

Regular
Does anybody know how accurate the speed measurement is on Strava? Apparently my top speed today was 52.1mph, this would have been on the long descent from Bury hill down to Arundel. It's quick and is a lovely reward for the climb up there but 50mph seems off.

vickster

Legendary Member
Mostly nonsense, is that off a phone?

kiriyama

According to Strava i did 180kph the other day!

I think It's generally pretty accurate over a long distance but your at the mercy of a gps signal which can go a bit wonky!

Ian193

Über Member
Using a garmin with strava and the speeds seem to be pretty accurate if you're using a phone they can be way out

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
When I cycle with my wife, she tracks her ride on a mobile phone and I track my on a Garmin device. Her top speed is usually something ridiculous approaching 40mph compared to mine which is about 25mph, and her distance is always significantly more than mine.

boydj

Legendary Member
Just missed the 50mph today, but I had been climbing for 10 miles before hitting the 1-mile descent back to sea level. Poor road surface had me on the brakes with plenty of steep downhill to go.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Using a speed sensor makes Strava and its ilk a lot more accurate. I got curious at work one day when testing some survey grade GPS with an INU and found that my Garmin and hence Strava did a very good job when the speed sensor was attached.

Jody

Stubborn git

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-07-31-22-02-29.png
    Screenshot_2016-07-31-22-02-29.png
    34.2 KB · Views: 57
Top Bottom