Strava speeds

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simon.r

Person
My Strava distance is consistently about 3 or 4% higher than my Garmin shows.

vickster

Legendary Member
My Strava distance is consistently about 3 or 4% higher than my Garmin shows.
And my average speed is at least 1mph lower on my iPhone than my Garmin! I just upload from the phone, take an extra few hundred metres and a slower average

I pay no attention to highest and lowest speeds, nonsense

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
And my average speed is at least 1mph lower on my iPhone than my Garmin! I just upload from the phone, take an extra few hundred metres and a slower average

I pay no attention to highest and lowest speeds, nonsense

That average speed differential is surprising. They both calculate average speed by dividing total distance travelled by moving time. Is your Garmin set up to pause when you stop but phone isn't? Otherwise it must be that the Garmin is recording a lot more distance than the iPhone. My Garmin is pretty accurate so I guess yours is too which would mean it is the iPhone that is inaccurate (assuming you ride at 14 mph that would be a 7% error which is a lot)

Top speeds tend to be quite accurate. I notice that the Garmin goes a bit wonky when I'm in a heavily wooded area; speed drops as it struggles to find the GPS but the average corrects itself when it finds a good signal

I have noticed a few Strava Sections on my commute show up some silly speeds ie 28mph average up small hills where I know my max was 24-25 etc. On closer inspection they were on flyovers or newer bridges/bits of road . When I looked at the elevation profile, strava was following the elevation profile of the land underneath the flyovers/bridges or old road elevation profile and somehow rising 60ft in reality, instead of going down 20ft where strava thinks you are to the river seems to show you going faster that you are by a good few mph. Seems to be consistent on certain sections with other people.
I have wondered whether there is a way of changing the elevation profile on Strava sections to reality but never really looked into it in earnest.

When I see that I'm 1354th on a hill that I went up at 6mph, when others went up it at 23mph I start to wonder if (a). I'm fat and useless, or (b). Lance Armstrong lives in Penistone.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
When I see that I'm 1354th on a hill that I went up at 6mph, when others went up it at 23mph I start to wonder if (a). I'm fat and useless, or (b). Lance Armstrong lives in Penistone.
Maybe not Lance, but remember we've had the tdf and tour o Yorkshire lads round here, and some of them are on strava.

Oh and there's plenty of hill whippets in the local clubs...some of the HCC peeps for instance are stupid quick going up.

Hard to beat fat lads advantage on the descent though....damhikt :-)

vickster

Legendary Member

It might be an aptly named place for him?
Joking aside, they may well have driven up if car accessible ;)

Brains

Legendary Member
My brother clocked up 73.5mph a couple of weeks ago according to Strava
He claims he was under 60mph in reality (and probably under 30 mph if the truth be told)
(It was a 10km Alpine decent)

I think that Strava 'loses' signal from time to time, and when it picks up again does some sort of calculation to fill in the missing gap
I set up a Strava Section a couple of years ago, I managed to get it down to about 70 seconds. I reckon it might be possible to shave a couple of seconds off the time, maybe Froome could shave 5 seconds off.
However the fastest current time is 23 seconds, with dozens of people coming in well under a minute, even Barry Sheen on a 500c dirt bike would struggle to get under the minute and the 23 seconds would only be possible if you could maintain 80 mph through hairpin bends

Top Bottom