Strava: trolling for Kudos?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
They are both from Brazil, so maybe there is an inscrutable connection there?
What is it with Brazilians? I just got another follow request by a stranger in a remote country. Mind you, this one came with a tops-off selfie. :wub:
Screen Shot 2016-02-15 at 11.08.43.jpg

(it's not trolling for ladies, because though I am female in my profile, I don't have a photo and most of these requests come from Spanish and Portuguese speaking nations, where my given name is masculine.)

Last edited:
Arthur Lima, that's a great name. Only Papa Zulu would better it.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I still get the odd follow request from strangers, despite not having logged any rides since last April!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I also occasionally get people wanting to follow me from abroad.... My rides are mostly commutes why would someone on the other side of the world want to see that other than hoping I will follow them back?

Stephenite

Membå
What is it with Brazilians? I just got another follow request by a stranger in a remote country. Mind you, this one came with a tops-off selfie.
View attachment 119067

(it's not trolling for ladies, because though I am female in my profile, I don't have a photo and most of these requests come from Spanish and Portuguese speaking nations, where my given name is masculine.)
In which languages is Jeff a feminine name? :smile:

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I joined an international group on strava a month ago, since then I have been getting the occasional multiple weird kudos from people I don't know, a long way away for rides without merit. Most recently 3 kudos from a Korean (whose name is rendered in Hangul) for 3 random rides. Previously several from a californian.

I was a bit mystified at first, but then realised that while I had a total of around 200 kudos, they both had more than 20,000. So I assume it's a thing: you scatter kudos widely about, and wait for strangers to return the favour by giving you Kudos. Very strange. Much weirder than accumulating friends on facebook.

I left the group, so I expect this will stop now.
Yebbut, how is this activity trolling?

Or did you mean to type trawling?

Yebbut, how is this activity trolling?

Or did you mean to type trawling?
Um, as in dragging a bait around hoping someone takes a bite ...

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/troll?q=trolling#troll-2__12

Last edited:
This has started for me again. First I got a whole bunch of kudos for every ride (I think) I did last week, from a stranger in the Netherlands and today I got one from the delightfully named Carla Ferrari for a random, slow, unremarkable commute between Waterloo and Canary Wharf on my folder in 2012!

steverob

Guru
Think I've only ever got two or three random kudoses (that's the plural I'm going with anyway) from people in far flung lands that I don't know, but then as I rarely get more than about 3 kudoses on a ride anyway, that's plenty enough for me! But like others on here, when I have got a random one, it always seems to be on the least interesting ride I've done that week - forget that 70+ mile, multiple categorised hills at a high average speed ride; give me kudos on the 3 mile pootle to and from the shops instead!

Only been on Strava for about a year, and only recently discovered how to award Kudos. (Greek, so maybe the plural is Kudoces???) (Maybe not!). It does seem a bit random. I am puzzled by people I have never met rewarding me (if that is what it is) for a routine ride to a fitness class I do every week. Busting through the twelve mile an hour barrier is, of course, a different matter. There is a Cycle Chat group? Can I join?

Ihatehills

I received a random kudos for a 2.8 mile commute last week, I think it was a cc'er and I also get one from a guy every time I ride over 30 miles. it says on his profile " I only give kudos on rides over 30 miles " and he sticks to this religiously, 30.3 miles, kudos, 29.8 no. Chance. How does he know ? Seems like a lot of effort to me.

Top Bottom