Strava: trolling for Kudos?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Starchivore

I don't know much about Cinco de Mayo
I received a random kudos for a 2.8 mile commute last week, I think it was a cc'er and I also get one from a guy every time I ride over 30 miles. it says on his profile " I only give kudos on rides over 30 miles " and he sticks to this religiously, 30.3 miles, kudos, 29.8 no. Chance. How does he know ? Seems like a lot of effort to me.

jw-maab26799.jpg

Mile195

Veteran
While on the topic, is it weird to follow people you don't know anyway, or not? I can't decide.

I've only recently got into Strava, and have started following a couple of people that seem to do a similar route at a similar sort of speed to me on my commutes. Thought it might be quite motivational for bettering PB's on some segments. But that said, I did "um and ah" a bit before requesting to follow my first complete stranger.

potsy

Rambler
While on the topic, is it weird to follow people you don't know anyway, or not?
It is to me, I treat it like FB and only have people on there that I have actually met these days.
I did have a few cc'ers that I had not met but they are now deleted :tongue:

Mile195

Veteran
It is to me, I treat it like FB and only have people on there that I have actually met these days.
I did have a few cc'ers that I had not met but they are now deleted :tongue:
I started off thinking like that, but then I realised that given that no-one I know cycles the same segments as me, it makes strava pretty pointless from an "upping your own game" point of view without some local connections.

I'm also finding it interesting to see how people's times compare on certain segments on the same days. When I'm having a good day, it's interesting to know if everyone else is. If so, you could blame the temperature and a tailwind. If they're not then I guess it's an indicator that you're just on better form than usual yourself. When you're following people you can see if they set a load of PB's on the same segments as you that day.

I figure that I have privacy zones set, and people that don't want to be followed could easily make their activities private so I guess it's alright. Even so, I still feel like I'm crossing some awkward social boundary when I add the odd random!

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
There's a guy in my club who I've never met in real life but because I'm a member of the club Strava group, he gives me kudos on literally every single activity I post. I had to laugh the other day when he even gave me kudos on a phantom ride - must have accidentally started my Garmin and recorded a ride of around 2 seconds and zero distance. ^_^

I've also had some very 'interesting' follow requests from fellow Strava users who, judging by their profile pics (which usually don't leave much to the imagination), are extremely attractive young ladies. Nice to know I've still got it. (In case you're wondering, I ignore them - the account usually gets suspended pretty quickly anyway. I don't find online profile pics a very reliable guide to what a person is like. I mean, look at me - I'm not even Welsh!)

Mile195

Veteran
Well, I probably wouldn't give you kudos on the 2 second ride... but (and following the link in your signature), I might have considered giving you a thumbs up on your "biggest ride" of 387 miles!...

Don't worry though - I'm not going to try and add you... now I know you're not Welsh, that's totally killed it for me...!

Only been on Strava for about a year, and only recently discovered how to award Kudos. (Greek, so maybe the plural is Kudoces???) (Maybe not!). It does seem a bit random. I am puzzled by people I have never met rewarding me (if that is what it is) for a routine ride to a fitness class I do every week. Busting through the twelve mile an hour barrier is, of course, a different matter. There is a Cycle Chat group? Can I join?

https://www.strava.com/clubs/cyclechat

toffee

Guru
I received a random kudos for a 2.8 mile commute last week, I think it was a cc'er and I also get one from a guy every time I ride over 30 miles. it says on his profile " I only give kudos on rides over 30 miles " and he sticks to this religiously, 30.3 miles, kudos, 29.8 no. Chance. How does he know ? Seems like a lot of effort to me.

I have been getting kudos from this guy all week as I have been crossing the country. Who spends their time searching out these rides

Derek

Garry A

Calibrating.....
I usually look at strava flyby and give kudos to people I passed that have done an impressive trip. It helps if they seem happy and say hello or wave/nod. I feel bad about following them as I don't want to seem like a crazy stalker.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
You use Strava? To measure walks from sofa to fridge as it's not like you ride your bikes by all accounts ;)
:laugh: :okay: well said, maybe we can spur some action into Chubby Cat!
I give Kudos to everyone that appears in my feed, and never ever check on who gave me them.
As I log into Strava only once in a while, the rides that appear in my first two pages of feed will get Kidos, then I lose interest.
Sometimes I will click on rides linked on here and give Kudos.
I don't have to log into Strava to add the rides to MCL, because I use @jefmcg 's excellent app that does it all.

Top Bottom