Strava V's My Cycling Log

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paul_L

Über Member
I use both.

Every ride is on mycyling log. Depending what bike i commute on, not every ride is on Strava.

I don't use Garmin Connect for logging rides but i do use it for the route planning function.

OP
OP
Lanzecki

Lanzecki

Über Member
Well, that's the one joy about Strava. Mapmyride was able to do that as well.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I use strava and garmin connect. Also have Ascent on my computer which is some software which gives me more data than I require.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
But Ian you do massive miles and your fitness levels must be excellent. Nothing to lose by using it? Or do you look at it the other way and see nothing to gain..

My fitness levels are excellent, or at least I do like to think so. (and my Doc says so too) :thumbsup:
My riding is more mid to long(ish) distance pootling rather then speed work.
Signing up to Strava would make me want to bust a gut to go for faster speeds, and to be honest I don't really want to do that.

billy1561

BB wrecker
My fitness levels are excellent, or at least I do like to think so. (and my Doc says so too) :thumbsup:
My riding is more mid to long(ish) distance pootling rather then speed work.
Signing up to Strava would make me want to bust a gut to go for faster speeds, and to be honest I don't really want to do that.
Sometimes it's satisfying though to get a pb or fastest time so long as it's not the sole reason we ride our bikes. Just a bonus occasionally to liven up a ride :smile:

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I use both and they suit different needs. MCL for long-time logging and Strava for cheap thrills. Actually that makes Strava sound trivial... it's not :ohmy: It is excellent for tracking progress and very motivational.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Sometimes it's satisfying though to get a pb or fastest time so long as it's not the sole reason we ride our bikes. Just a bonus occasionally to liven up a ride :smile:

Indeed.. I understand your thinking.
But as I said, speed is not important to me.
It is nice knowing I am a faster rider then I was, say 5 years ago. But it's not the be all end all.
My speed fix I get from my daily commute.
I get more of a buzz counting the 100 milers I do.

billy1561

BB wrecker
Indeed.. I understand your thinking.
But as I said, speed is not important to me.
It is nice knowing I am a faster rider then I was, say 5 years ago. But it's not the be all end all.
My speed fix I get from my daily commute.
I get more of a buzz counting the 100 milers I do.
That's kind of my outlook too. After all, i'm not designed to sprint... and i do get satisfaction from my distance rides. Probably much more so than times. My primary goal when i ride for pleasure is distance now i think of it. A good time is a reward but not essential.
Best summed up by my urge to better my yearly distance on MCL next year.

Twas just an alternative view i wished to express.

defy-one

I can identify the distance thing now. When i first started on a road bike,my major goal was speed,now i know i can maintain a satisfactory speed,my energies are focused on increasing my distance.
If i'm honest .... Distance work is more rewarding than how fast i can do a segment

I started on Endomondo, but it's elevation data and position was sometimes wildly all over the place (unless I do zigzag 300 metres side to side? Good stuff that white wine!).
Strava did both better, but I had to manually create routes in Endomondo, then export to Strava as .gpx because there's no manual input in Strava.
Strava fills in the elevation data from OS for me.

Just got an android mobile so installed the Strava app and will use that.
Got no interest in personal best times or beating other people's segments. I can't do the pace I used to, and I log for mine and my friend's sharing of the fun.

Top Bottom