Strava

You get glitches with it and also it is possible to enhance your ride data.

Strava is best enjoyed by competing with yourself and friends.

I discount any times I think have been manipulated and as a rule of thumb anything faster than me I assume has been achieved by dishonest means.

Venod

Eh up
Its best not to take it too seriously, I have 2 KOM's that seem a bit quick, I also have a KOM in my list that I am in 3rd place on:wacko:

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
Most of the inaccuracies of strava users come from the mobile phone apps, because the mobile GPS isn't as accurate nor samples as fast as a true GPS device (garmin. mimo, etc...) It's to do with many things such as number of satellite locks, Antenna size & sensitivity and interference. If you compare an identical ride of a phone vs a garmin, you will notice the phone track often wanders a bit from the road, whereas the garmin will stay on the road. As others have mentioned, due to the way strava matches segment start/finish points to fixed GPS coordinates, the GPS inaccuracy and sampling rate can introduce significant errors.

I did a test ride with iPhone & Garmin recording the same ride and on my test segment, the iPhone recorded 6 secs faster over 2km....
The iPhone I believe only samples data every 5secs to save battery; and as you know you can be all over the place on a bike in 5secs ;-)

iamRayRay

Quads of Steel
Completely agree. Last night I absolutely blasted into the City Centre, no cars at Midnight.

It was only 2-3 miles, but I was flat out all the way, yet all I got was 5th best and 3rd best. With the KOM being 8 seconds faster than I was...
...8 seconds... Top speed 30mph+ uphill... yeah right mate!

uclown2002

Veteran
Completely agree. Last night I absolutely blasted into the City Centre, no cars at Midnight.

It was only 2-3 miles, but I was flat out all the way, yet all I got was 5th best and 3rd best. With the KOM being 8 seconds faster than I was...
...8 seconds... Top speed 30mph+ uphill... yeah right mate!
What's not to believe? Only 8 seconds adrift on a 2-3 mile segment yet you question the kom!
Post the strava segment so we can see.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I had a KOM flagged and the flag upheld because there was not a recorded Garmin track point close enough to the end of the segment to give a 100% accurate confirmed time, this in turn skewed the recorded top speed. The segment was long enough for my Garmin to register a speed trace in excess of the second place rider, but Strava upheld the flag but messaged me admitting I was the fastest rider but they had to uphold the flag:wacko:. So I went back and KOM'd the segment again. :becool::evil:I wouldn't have bothered other than to prove a point to the flagger.

Top Bottom