Strava

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iamRayRay

Quads of Steel
Still though, over 2-3 miles!
Linky please.

Currently at work so will try to remem to linky later at home :okay:

Apologies, need to clarify the segment itself was only 500 - 600 metres at a guess.

My whole route cycle last night was 2-3 miles. Could take if he was 28 secs quicker over that distance :bicycle:

lesley_x

Über Member
I had a KOM flagged and the flag upheld because there was not a recorded Garmin track point close enough to the end of the segment to give a 100% accurate confirmed time, this in turn skewed the recorded top speed. The segment was long enough for my Garmin to register a speed trace in excess of the second place rider, but Strava upheld the flag but messaged me admitting I was the fastest rider but they had to uphold the flag:wacko:. So I went back and KOM'd the segment again. :becool::evil:I wouldn't have bothered other than to prove a point to the flagger.

People take Strava seriously enough to flag a KOM they are butthurt about?! :laugh:

BRounsley

Über Member
Most devices sample GPS at the same rate (Garmin, iPhone), typically 1 Hz (1 a second).

Aerial size and placement can affect the accuracy. But typically device placement is the biggest factor. A phone upside down in a pocket/bag will not be as accurate as a Garmin with a clear view of the sky on hand bars. But also vice versa applies.

When you’re moving, partially in an environment with interference (trees, building, etc), the software is “smoothing” out these “bad” signals bouncing off these environment objects (GPS is radio singles form satellites). Smoothing algorithms can vary and being smoother is not necessary any more accurate.

Different software also save different number of point (e.g. 1 point every 5 seconds or it could be 1 point every 3 seconds) independent of the 1 Hz sample rate.

If you have a segment that’s very short (sometimes as few as 4 or 5 points) in an area with a lot of interference then a couple of bad points (the first and the last) can really fudge the number. Anything on Deasngate in Manchester for example.

Alternatively they may have been a 40mph tail wind that day, it does happen and my time still counts!!!!

Last edited:

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
The first joint KOM on Greenwhich downhill was during a ride that his comment was 'GPS not working should be 22.4km ride time 1:07:07'. So it's likely the data is dodgy. The second joint KOM is almost certainly also bad GPS data. Both were recorded via the iPhone app... say no more ;-)

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Keep taking it Chris :laugh:

Next time entitle the ride something like "Don't be an @rse by flagging my KoM for the 3rd time, or I will hunt you down like the dog you are!" :evil: :laugh:
I know who he is Gaz. I am likely to see him in a professional capacity. Will have to mention it. :gun:

Top Bottom