Strava

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
You get glitches with it and also it is possible to enhance your ride data.

Strava is best enjoyed by competing with yourself and friends.

I discount any times I think have been manipulated and as a rule of thumb anything faster than me I assume has been achieved by dishonest means.

Venod

Eh up
Its best not to take it too seriously, I have 2 KOM's that seem a bit quick, I also have a KOM in my list that I am in 3rd place on:wacko:

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
Most of the inaccuracies of strava users come from the mobile phone apps, because the mobile GPS isn't as accurate nor samples as fast as a true GPS device (garmin. mimo, etc...) It's to do with many things such as number of satellite locks, Antenna size & sensitivity and interference. If you compare an identical ride of a phone vs a garmin, you will notice the phone track often wanders a bit from the road, whereas the garmin will stay on the road. As others have mentioned, due to the way strava matches segment start/finish points to fixed GPS coordinates, the GPS inaccuracy and sampling rate can introduce significant errors.

I did a test ride with iPhone & Garmin recording the same ride and on my test segment, the iPhone recorded 6 secs faster over 2km....
The iPhone I believe only samples data every 5secs to save battery; and as you know you can be all over the place on a bike in 5secs ;-)

iamRayRay

Quads of Steel
Completely agree. Last night I absolutely blasted into the City Centre, no cars at Midnight.

It was only 2-3 miles, but I was flat out all the way, yet all I got was 5th best and 3rd best. With the KOM being 8 seconds faster than I was...
...8 seconds... Top speed 30mph+ uphill... yeah right mate!

uclown2002

Guru
Completely agree. Last night I absolutely blasted into the City Centre, no cars at Midnight.

It was only 2-3 miles, but I was flat out all the way, yet all I got was 5th best and 3rd best. With the KOM being 8 seconds faster than I was...
...8 seconds... Top speed 30mph+ uphill... yeah right mate!
What's not to believe? Only 8 seconds adrift on a 2-3 mile segment yet you question the kom!
Post the strava segment so we can see.

J1888

Über Member
There are some KOM's that have travelled at hundreds of KM's PH, so take it with a pinch of salt.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I had a KOM flagged and the flag upheld because there was not a recorded Garmin track point close enough to the end of the segment to give a 100% accurate confirmed time, this in turn skewed the recorded top speed. The segment was long enough for my Garmin to register a speed trace in excess of the second place rider, but Strava upheld the flag but messaged me admitting I was the fastest rider but they had to uphold the flag:wacko:. So I went back and KOM'd the segment again. :becool::evil:I wouldn't have bothered other than to prove a point to the flagger.

Top Bottom