Strava

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Setting aside for one second the arguments over the rights or wrongs of having to pay a subscription, those who will or won’t pay to upgrade will probably be decided by:

1. How far up the leadership boards they’re able to get,
2. How much importance they attach to that.

There’s very little else of value that isn’t still available for free, as far as I can see.
I miss the following:

Compare my segment efforts against my previous efforts on same segment

Compare my segment efforts to other riders on the same day

Compare my PBs to friends I follow

Whether that's worth £4 a month I will have to see

DRM

Veteran
I'd prefer it if Zwift rides can't be uploaded to Strava. I don't care for seeing a contact riding some pixels against some other pixels in an imaginary world. It must use a lot of Strava capacity.
Why? It’s for my benefit, not for anyone else to look at, I record my rides for me, it’s recorded as a virtual ride and I can then see if I have done better or worse on a segment, when I can’t get outside & ride, therefore i know where I need to try harder.

dodgy

Legendary Member
Why? It’s for my benefit, not for anyone else to look at, I record my rides for me, it’s recorded as a virtual ride and I can then see if I have done better or worse on a segment, when I can’t get outside & ride, therefore i know where I need to try harder.
Why? I find them boring and unrelatable. If you record your rides for 'you', then mark them as private then I don't have to see these imaginary rides.

dodgy

Legendary Member
Do you go looking for them, what a strange comment
I've already been clear about it. I find them boring and unrelateable. If they're important to you, great, mark them as private. Or you could just view them on the platform they were created on.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I've already been clear about it. I find them boring and unrelateable. If they're important to you, great, mark them as private. Or you could just view them on the platform they were created on.
I find many TV programs boring and unrelatable. I solve this conundrum by not fecking watching them.

You might like to try this approach with other people's records of their sessions online. It might just work. Its a long shot but it might be worth a try. ;)

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Is that the "Live Segments" I have seen? Does that only work if you are recording on a phone directly through Strava and not through a third party computer? Does your phone have to be "live" all the ride i.e. lit screen not where the screen goes dark and locks itself for battery conservation after a few seconds?
I use a Wahoo Elemnt and have recently started to use Live Segments. I think the only time my phone is connected to my Wahoo is when I open the Wahoo app. I make this assumption based on the Wahoo app searching for the unit every time I open the app and the unit then asks for permission to connect.

"Star" segments in Strava and then sync the Wahoo. Then look under routes on the unit, here you will find the segments you have "starred." It is these which will show as "live" when you are riding and I presume are triggered by the GPS signal or mapping software.

A few tips:
  • Only "starred" segments are live
  • Some climbs, I'm only interested in climbs, have multiple segments. Whichever segment you are currently on will show as live which gets confusing. I only star the longest on the basis if I crack that one I'll get the others too!
  • There is a field "Ahead/Behind" which I have switched off. I find it demotivating to know I'm behind my best time and it's very difficult to catch up!
  • First time you use it find a segment and ride it slowly and monitor the Wahoo screen to become familiar with the numbers and notifications

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I didn’t think it was. I know CC is a much smaller enterprise than Strava, but the same principles apply, I think. I do use ad-blockers for general browsing but turn them off if I become a heavy user of any site, including this one. I wasn’t aware there was a subscription option here, so will investigate.
Have a look at this thread from Shaun. It's a voluntary donation to support the site and be ad free

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/cycle-chat-account-upgrade-advertisement-removal.242531/

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
@PaulSB I'm not interested in segments personally, but as someone who has been playing with GPS units for over 20 years, from the eatly incredibly clunky and simple units, there is something very satisfying about your description. This is the kind of application that could only be dreamed of only a few years ago.

dodgy

Legendary Member
I find many TV programs boring and unrelatable. I solve this conundrum by not fecking watching them.

You might like to try this approach with other people's records of their sessions online. It might just work. Its a long shot but it might be worth a try. ;)
If TV was like my Strava feed it would be 5 episodes of Mrs Brown's boys every night when you're hoping to see an episode of Father Ted that you haven't seen yet.

Besides, who watches TV live these days :laugh: I haven't watched live TV in over 20 years and I actually (going against the Cycle Chat grain here) really enjoy TV. My TV 'feed' is a perfectly curated list of stuff I want to watch.

You seem oddly concerned that I don't enjoy seeing virtual / pretend rides in Strava 🤷‍♂️:laugh:

I guess the answer is to unfollow people who post almost nothing other than Zwift rides 🤷‍♂️

Anyway, done with this one, just having a laugh really. Take it easy.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
You don't have to look, or even use strava, but it does come with an element of social media which means you might get to see stuff that doesn't float your boat, it's unreasonable to assert that people shouldn't share the ride because you specifically have a poor emotional response to it, others may well enjoy the shared ride data.

Brads

I miss the following:

Compare my segment efforts against my previous efforts on same segment

Compare my segment efforts to other riders on the same day

Compare my PBs to friends I follow

Whether that's worth £4 a month I will have to see

This, very much.
After yesterdays winds, I set record breaking times and am hovering just outside the top ten leaderboard on a couple and want to see where :laugh::laugh:

Comparing to others is a biggie, we have a great laugh trying to beat each other down trails so it's £4 a month from me I think.

Top Bottom