W

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bitsandbobs

Über Member
sorry you felt the need to be so pedantic with your answer..........next time i will make myself abundantely clear, would hate to feel i wasn't being clear in my postings.

whether it was a loss in members or cash, they would still be losing nothing, as free accounts don't pay anything, that was my point

It's not really true though. Much of the value of Strava will be in the numbers of users they have.

(No one pays for Facebook)

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
It's not really true though. Much of the value of Strava will be in the numbers of users they have.

(No one pays for Facebook)
but facebook has an abundance of companies paying for advertising space....strava doesnt

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Its a fair question.

If you take umbrage at Strava taking away features, and delete your a/c are you hurting Strava in any way? Or are you just cutting off your nose to spite your face, by losing the free features too?

If they lose one sub it makes not a jot of difference to them, unless that subscriber is a famous pro, in which case it would be a bit of a publicity blow.

And if they lose a small/moderate number of subs they may even gain slightly by having their database tidied up a bit and load taken of their servers (hence a possible small cost saving)

But if they lose lots and lots of subs the services based on data like their popularity-based routing could suffer as they'll lose the base data ... maybe.

And if they lose absolute tons of subs who then go to a rival service then they may lose their market leadership and hence lose new paying subscribers that they don't have yet.

I say their services based on data "may" suffer because I don't know the extent to which they'd lose your existing data if you flounced. They may lose the base tracks but they may not lose aggregated data derived from those tracks. So if you have ridden down the B1234 99 times in the last year, making it a popular route, they may retain that info. I don't know.

Another way of putting it is: If you delete your a/c do you gain in any way? And possibly you may. If you feel that they have behaved badly by pulling the KoMs then you may gain some flouncy satisfaction in deleting your a/c.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It also uses Openstreetmaps underneath so as long as you are prepared to edit them to add the missing bridleways it's not complete.
Did you miss a "not" out of that?

It varies by area. Around here, openstreetmap shows permissive bridle paths that aren't on the usual OS maps - I more often have to remove lapsed permissive ways than add designated ones. I'm happy to update the openstreetmap and improve the common resource, rather than mainly benefit one company.

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
I think I would personally have a different stance if Strava had ads, was clearly a very profitable business and then did this, but as I see it, It's pure economics. They had to do something or there simply wouldn't be a Strava at some point in the future. It seems to me this has been a long time coming.

I do think they should give users an option to have ads on their free account, and get the benefits bar a couple of high end benefits that would come with the sub along with removal of ads. Maybe they are just fundamentally against having ads on their site, which I also understand.

At the end of the day tho, it's a pint of beer a month to pay for everything, so.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Quite happy to pay for it. Nice to see a few pr’s on my ride this afternoon and see where I am compared to others in my age group.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
So why use Strava instead of simpler tracking apps?
Well - Strava has just made itself much simpler! It has rid itself of those pesky segments and other complications.

Possibly to compete with those other "simpler" apps ;)

The basic features are still pretty handy and if I was looking for an online "home" to keep my GPS data now I'd certainly consider the free Strava. As it is I'm not because I already use another (paid) service. But I don't see anything wrong with it. I have an account that I use occasionally and I'll be keeping it for occasional use (eg synching from other services that are a bit crap at enabling data extract).

D

Deleted member 26715

Did you miss a "not" out of that?
Not that I am aware of, I did not not miss not out, I'm unsure where you think the not that I did not put in should have been,

mjr

The basic features are still pretty handy and if I was looking for an online "home" to keep my GPS data now I'd certainly consider the free Strava. As it is I'm not because I already use another (paid) service. But I don't see anything wrong with it. I have an account that I use occasionally and I'll be keeping it for occasional use (eg synching from other services that are a bit crap at enabling data extract).
Why would you consider that instead of keeping your details offline, such as shared between your phone and your laptop/PC? It seems a bit like a triumph of marketing over common sense if people who aren't engaging in the fake races and other online activity are using an app that's snoopy as hell and reporting your whereabouts to someone else's server.

mjr

Not that I am aware of, I did not not miss not out, I'm unsure where you think the not that I did not put in should have been,
I wondered if you meant to write "It also uses Openstreetmaps underneath so as long as you are not prepared to edit them to add the missing bridleways it's not complete" instead of "It also uses Openstreetmaps underneath so as long as you are prepared to edit them to add the missing bridleways it's not complete" because once you were prepared to edit the mapping then it would be complete.

vickster

Legendary Member
went to look at this morning's ride on Strava only to find most of the usful features are now only available to subscribers. :cursing:

you can only see the top 10 for each segment and you can also no longer see your own historic times just the overall stats (length, duration and elevation)

I'm unemployed (thanks Covid!) and am making the most of the good weather but with no income I can't justify non-essential expenditure.:sad:

There's been so little development of the app in the last couple of years, I don't see how they can justify charging for it.

A
You can get for free for 60 days (Presumably if you've not been a premium member earlier). You have to provide payment details so do need to remember to cancel or the years subs will be taken :smile:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I have downloaded Ride with GPS and have even remembered my password so will probably go back to that as it is all I need.

Top Bottom