Street art ride- London - proposed date Sunday 1st October, 10am start from Liverpool St

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
It was my day off today so I did a recce for part of the route, and its coming along nicely:okay:

I'm doing another recce of some interconnecting bits this weekend, but as stated the route will be approx 40 miles, starting in Liverpool St and covering Brick Lane, Shoreditch, Dalston, Hackney Wick, Mile End, loop back on the CS3 into the City, then up again through Hackney and on to an array of works around Walthamstow, back through Seven Sisters, Turnpike Lane, Finsbury Park and back to the finish, where we began at Liverpool St.

As its London there will inevitably be the odd busy section, but the majority will be on back roads and along cycle routes, and we will go through or alongside at least 9 parks. Pace will be leisurely, chatting speed, with stops for anyone that wants to take any pictures, and we pass plenty of cafes and shops for food and drink top ups, and toilet breaks.

The ride will also feature:
-Free cake:eek: A ride of champions starts with cake, because we are worth it!^_^ My mate is a baker, so I'm bringing a carrot cake to the start line to have while we wait for everyone to turn up. I think it should feed 10-12, which I think should cover us, but if more turn up its on a first come first served basis.

-I've not been through and counted exactly, but there will be at least 50 great art works that have featured on the street art thread. There will be foxes, badgers, apes, pigs, cat and dogs, squirrels, birds, numerous portraits, some of the cool X-ray effect Shok-1 ones, the Prime Minister and lots of other random stuff.

-There will be at least 5 new pieces that I've discovered but not posted yet, so there's something new on the ride, and of course there's a chance some more new ones pop up on the route between now and then. I'm looking forward to some pics of multiple bikes and people in front of some great art:okay:

-The ride includes a short section of bike limbo where we ride (or walk if you prefer) under a low 5ft bridge.

-The ride will feature weather, but we don't know what type yet. I'm hoping its dry and sunny but it will be October so be prepared for a shower.

I'm looking forward to it, and hopefully everyone has a great day out, roll on next weekend^_^

OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
I'm hoping its not going to take that long, not that I have set time I need to rush back for. I've planned it so there are pockets/areas where there's a good concentration of pics, and we can dodder about these, then we get a move on to the next area. I was going to assess as we go, people may not want to stop and photograph every one, I'll see how we get on. I've not got a set garmin route I have to stick to and I know my way around enough to lop of various sections of the route on the fly if necessary, while still packing lots in. I guess there is always the chance of p***tures or other mechanicals to further slow us down, but again I'll just tweak the route as I go if that happens.

Last edited:
OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
And of course my routing magic will make us slice through the city:becool:. Its going to be nothing like the stop/start mega traffic light concentration of central London....I hope. I did 41 miles on my recce today with two toilet stops, took about 20 photos, stopped to check map on numerous occasions and had a sandwich break with a total time of 3hrs 40 mins, with 3 hrs moving time. I know its going to take longer than that as I was getting a shift on at times, but 5-6 hours should be do-able, its only the cars that will be gridlocked^_^

Last edited:
OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
@Salty seadog, yep you'll be fine, I'll probably be on my single speed too. There are no real hills to speak of, the climb to the snow capped peaks at the top of Finsbury Park probably being the highest part of the route.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Guys, I have to bail-out due to work commitments. A meeting in Turkey has been pulled-forward to Monday morning meaning I have to fly Sunday afternoon :-(
2 Friends, Peter G and Mel C. (no not THAT Mel C) are planning to attend. @Salty seadog I think you've met both. I'll confirm their attendance nearer the day.
Sorry chaps, was really looking forward to this one, I love cycling in London....and art....and beer....and cake.....

OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
Sorry to miss you @Fab Foodie but hope Peter and Mel can make it. I hope nobody is put off by the fact they don't know others in the group, don't worry I have'nt met anyone, so we'll start as strangers but be well acquainted by the end. It's a shame we could'nt get @Hill Wimp along, as I can promise a curlew visit.

And we don't have any street art pics from Turkey, I don't know if it is tolerated or not, but if you see any good ones and get the chance to photograph them please do. Enjoy your trip:okay:

I'm not remotely artistic but all this art has got me inspired, and I'm going to attempt to make some icing in the Cyclechat logo and maybe do some graffiti style 'street art ride' writing on it too. It may well be rubbish but I can assure you I'm having nothing to do with the cake baking, so regardless of my input, the cake will still be delicious. I shall post pics on Saturday.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Guys, I have to bail-out due to work commitments. A meeting in Turkey has been pulled-forward to Monday morning meaning I have to fly Sunday afternoon :-(
2 Friends, Peter G and Mel C. (no not THAT Mel C) are planning to attend. @Salty seadog I think you've met both. I'll confirm their attendance nearer the day.
Sorry chaps, was really looking forward to this one, I love cycling in London....and art....and beer....and cake.....

Indeed, I've met them both and a few others too. We all start as strangers but that doesn't last long once the jaws start flapping. Hope they can both still make it.

OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
Sorry to hear it TMN. This is the only one I'm running this year as I'm not a fan of grim weather riding, but I may run some more in Spring/Summer next year.

By the way everyone, don't listen to the BBC weather, they have been rubbish this year, they are forecasting rain all day, lies I say! Accuweather and Wunderground are much more accurate, and they only predict a 30% chance of a shower. Over the next few days I'll be making a few sacrifices to the weather gods so there's still a chance it will remain dry all day. Its still going to be an ace ride, whatever the weather.

Top Bottom