Street art ride- London - proposed date Sunday 1st October, 10am start from Liverpool St

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SteveF

Indeed, the reliable weather services like Wunderground and the Norwegan Yr are both saying a dry day at the moment. Light showers overnight and late afternoon but nowt for the ride. Hope it stays that way.

Certainly hope so, I'm rather a fair weather cyclist, so if it's more than showers I'm doubtful...:angry:

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Certainly hope so, I'm rather a fair weather cyclist, so if it's more than showers I'm doubtful...:angry:

Me too but it's ok at present.

OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
@subaqua terribly sorry to hear about your mum, I hope the trip up to north Wales goes as well as can be expected at what must be a very difficult time. Our thoughts will be with you, and I hope you can join us in the Spring/Summer under nicer circumstances. Safe journey and best wishes.

OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
@booze and cake, is it a tandem freindly route?

Hi Mark, I've never ridden one, or even know anyone with one, so I'm not really sure what tandem friendly is....but I assume its quite heavy, so I'm thinking its not very good on hills, and is big and bulky so is a major headache if it needs lifting over fences and stuff, and its long wheel base is not so good in tight twisty stuff.

Don't worry there's no fences or off road of any kind. I think you'll be fine, the route is nearly all flat. There are 2 inclines that I recall, that I would'nt even class as hills, the rise up to Finsbury park and a short incline in Walthamstow. We do cross over a small footbridge over a canal, but its has those wheel guide/rail things so bikes can be pushed/rolled up and down and it has only about 10 shallow steps on each side so that will be fine. And we also cross a bridge over the A12 by Victoria Park, but its a ramp not steps so can be cycled, you may need to be dismount on the bit where it doubles back 180 degrees on itself just to be extra safe. I'd love to have a tandem along, they seem to guarantee extra smiles^_^ and I'll happily wait or help with any pushing on those bits I mention above.

subaqua

What’s the point
Hi Mark, I've never ridden one, or even know anyone with one, so I'm not really sure what tandem friendly is....but I assume its quite heavy, so I'm thinking its not very good on hills, and is big and bulky so is a major headache if it needs lifting over fences and stuff, and its long wheel base is not so good in tight twisty stuff.

Don't worry there's no fences or off road of any kind. I think you'll be fine, the route is nearly all flat. There are 2 inclines that I recall, that I would'nt even class as hills, the rise up to Finsbury park and a short incline in Walthamstow. We do cross over a small footbridge over a canal, but its has those wheel guide/rail things so bikes can be pushed/rolled up and down and it has only about 10 shallow steps on each side so that will be fine. And we also cross a bridge over the A12 by Victoria Park, but its a ramp not steps so can be cycled, you may need to be dismount on the bit where it doubles back 180 degrees on itself just to be extra safe. I'd love to have a tandem along, they seem to guarantee extra smiles^_^ and I'll happily wait or help with any pushing on those bits I mention above.

If it's the bridge from wallis road to cardigan terrace it's doable on a tandem as have seen it done .

Mark Grant

Acting Captain of The St Annes Jombulance.
OK, if it looks like it'll be reasonable weather Gail will come too, and if so we may bring the tandem.

OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
Another two bite the dust. Sorry to hear it @Fab Foodie but thanks for letting us know. Shame we've had a few drop out, I am away in Wales next weekend, in Bristol the following weekend, and its my birthday and I have plans the following weekend, so that takes us to November, by which time the clocks will have changed and the weather will be looking much more end of days. But as fair weather interest in this ride seems quite high there's a good chance I'll run some more next year, giving me plenty of time to come up with a south London ride too.

I've not had time to do the Cyclechat cake icing, but it looks like I'll only need to bring half of the cake at this rate. Weather has improved from yesterday and it now looks like winds will be a lot less, and rain does'nt look like it will arrive until about 3-5pm, so we may get away with a dry ride.

For anyone thats still coming I shall be on my blue Mercian single speed at the start point with a white square cake box, come and say hello and bag a slice. If anyone still planning on attending and would like my mobile number so they can have direct contact with me in the morning, please ask and I'll message it over to you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
booze and cake

booze and cake

probably out cycling
Sorry to hear you've been roped into working @CharlieB, on a Sunday of all days. OK I am defo only taking half the cake now or I'll be forced to carry it around all day, or I'll be tempted to eat it all, and I don't think I'd get very far if I did^_^.

I'll be still be there from 10, its dry, mild and windless for now at least. I know Steve F and his brother in law will be there, and maybe @Mark Grant with the tandem and @Salty seadog, and anyone else that makes a last minute decision to come along. The carrot cake is lovely by the way, see ya at 10.:okay:

Last edited:
Top Bottom